Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 11:36 AM

Default Brian Townsend\'s Downswing (for all the Brian Townsend haters)

Just a minute ago, I read this thread that makes me wanna puke. web page

How can anyone hate Brian? For all 2p2ers, Brian represents the ultimate dream of a poker player. He started from scratch and hit the top of the mountain in just two years. Two years ago, he was just like us, posting hands and wishing some day we can play the likes of phil ivey, PA, Gus etc.. Four months ago, i read Brian's original post of his story, that was probably the most inspiring post on 2p2 ever. I loved poker before, very much. That post made me love poker even more. His story ispires me to work at my game and try to improve as a poker player. It gives me a goal. It gives me a reason to really work hard for.

Lately, there are a lot of posts about brian being a busto or whatever. He took a shot and exprienced a downswing. Most of us had that, just at much smaller stakes. He sat with the best of the bests and was not afraid to play his game. So what if he lost. Give the man some props.

So basically what im saying is dont kick a man when he is down. Dont built your happiness on someone's misery, thats a pathetic way to live. We all should be happy to be reading insights of the poker life of great player.

Best wish to Brian, and to all 2p2ers, peace.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Brian Townsend\'s Downswing (for all the Brian Townsend haters)

ban
Old 08-14-2007, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ban

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-14-2007, 11:41 AM

1) Jealousy
2) IIRC, he said he was the best NL Holdem player in the world...or something like that. People hate that.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1)
2) IIRC, he said he was the best NL Holdem player in the world...or something like that. People hate that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed- that rubbed me the wrong way, especially when he added something to the effect of "you may think I'm bragging, but I'm not the type of person who brags."

So not only is he the best NLHE player in the world, but he's modest to boot. Kind of rolled my eyes at that one.

Otherwise, he seems like a decent guy and I admire how he shows discipline in both his poker and personal spending. I don't dislike him, but when you say you're the best in the world at something, you're asking to be taken down a notch or two.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:01 PM

What's in naples coffee this morning? that might be the worst comment i have ever seen, How else do you want to measure a poker player. Commen sense tells me that the best players in the world play the highest stakes, Most people think ivey is the best in the world, that is because of his results in the high stakes games, big tournaments and the battle with andy beal, not because he plays 1-2 limit poker, There have been pro's like DN, PA, Greenstein who have all been quoted as saying Brian is one of the best players and if naples isn't to impressed with brians play maybe he should play him and see how good he really is
Old 08-14-2007, 04:33 PM

One hit wonders. they are in every sport. He MAY be very good all I am saying if that time will tell. Lets see if in 3 years anybody can remember his name. Coffee is very good in Naples.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if naples isn't to impressed with brians play maybe he should play him and see how good he really is

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats ridiculous
Do I need to play the 145th ranked golfer in the world to know hes not of the same caliber as Tiger Woods? He will beat me but he still sucks compared to the top pros

I think that was the point
Old 08-14-2007, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have always followed up great months/times with bad downswings. I attribute this mainly to getting overconfident and lazy about my play.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know Brian but this from his latest blog post is definitely wrongheaded. He needs to take a week off, go to the countryside, drop acid and let the truth come to him. Otherwise he will go bust with a probability close to 1.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if naples isn't to impressed with brians play maybe he should play him and see how good he really is

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats ridiculous
Do I need to play the 145th ranked golfer in the world to know hes not of the same caliber as Tiger Woods? He will beat me but he still sucks compared to the top pros

I think that was the point

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is that all of these people suggesting that all the old pros are > aba likely have less actual evidence that these folks are winners that we do wrt to aba. So much of what we hear about the pros is 5th hand gossip, and we're to assume they're poker gods because they got famous back when like there were like 36 people playing tournaments and everybody else sucked. Aba might not be as good as we/he/that one poster you hate thinks, but I feel like there's a better argument that all those people ESPN told you were famous are even worse.