Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 06:42 AM

Default protecting 66 from possible draws, played correctly?

Reads: I felt very strongly he had a spade draw.

He is a 44/9/1.6 over 70 hands

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP ($59)
Button ($59.95)
SB ($50)
BB :#A500AF(villian)/ ($73.65)
Hero ($42.80)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB :#A500AF(villian)/ calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $2.5</font>, BB :#A500AF(villian)/ calls $1.50.

Flop: ($4.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
villian checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, villian calls $4.

Turn: ($12.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
villian checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $9</font>, villian calls $9.

River: ($30.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
villian checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $30.50

Was surprised to see him show a 77

I am also thinking that that is the only type of hand that makes sense here other than a draw like i expected

I didn't lose a big pot on this hand but im wondering if there could have been a better way to play it.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:09 AM

Location: Victoria Station, third washroom along, behind the hot water pipes
Default Re: protecting 66 from possible draws, played correctly?

I think you played that hand ok.

A river push might have helped to take down the hand - but after those calls of substantial bets on the flop + turn I guess I would have checked behind also.

considdering you spade draw feeling: 78 spades would maybe go that line with the additional str8 draw.

other than that you are right and 77 (or another unlikely 66) makes the most sense here. 99 does also fit.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:37 AM

You played it fine. I play it the same and be happy
Old 08-09-2007, 08:15 AM

Villains range is pretty wide PF because he plays a lot of hands but doesn't raise many of em. I find it hard to put him on a useful range that that point. Could easily include various pairs, connectors or suited aces. More often a limp followed by a call of a decent raise is a PP because people pull out all the stops to see a flop with them.

A CB on that board is suspicious because it doesn't look the the sort of board you've hit so I'm not surprised at the call but I think it probably means he has something. Could be a flush draw or straight draw or an overpair or something like A5 (unlikely given the PF action). I don't think you need to bet quite that much. You don't want this to be a big pot in the slightest and less than pot will spoil drawing odds....as long as you don't pay off later.

With lowish PPs like that I'm keen on playing too much poker post flop for obvious reasons. So I'm either checking that turn or betting less. You've ended up building a $30 pot with a very vunerable hand even though you had position on him. You've played it like you were pretty committed to it but I'm not sure you should have been. If you'd checked the turn you'd be looking at a 12.50 pot and maybe he'd have bluffed at it and you could have called. Since a T showed up he probably would have checked anyway but we didn't know that on the turn.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:23 AM

OP, this is perfect.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:28 AM

i'm fine with both betting the turn in this hand versus a passive opponent, because of the presence of the wheel draw in addition to the other draws. any ace has at least 10 ways to improve. any pp is probably looking you up. spades obviously aren't going anywhere, and even something like a 78 might float the flop on you. so, its not like there's not some big time value potential here with your 66, especially in position.

edit: those hands aren't going anywhere on the flop, that is, so they are all still in play.