Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 11-30-2007, 11:15 AM

Default playing stakes at which you are comfortable at

Okay,

I really thought about it

REGARDLESS how big your bankroll is,

is it the best way to play at the stakes at which you don't care if you lose a big pot or not. AKA at stakes which don't make you tilt because the money doesn't matter?

Like say I can really play at NL 20 wtihout to even care about losing a pot with KK vs QQ, while at nl 50 I really get pissed off.

Or is it just a sign that my bankroll gets hurt TOO much by losing it?
Old 11-30-2007, 11:52 AM

Default Re: playing stakes at which you are comfortable at

[ QUOTE ]
is it the best way to play at the stakes at which you don't care if you lose a big pot or not. AKA at stakes which don't make you tilt because the money doesn't matter?

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with this is that the inverse is also true. I play poker at a very low level for a part of the year because I'm at the computer anyway and I find it helps me think. If I was playing at that level to make money I'd find it hard to concentrate on poker or even care about it. If you play too low I don't think you'll be able to get motivated.

That being said you shouldn't be playing at a level where losing any one pot would be devastating or upsetting to you. The way to deal with that is to not look at it on a pot by pot time-frame but something more long term.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:22 PM

Or I really need like 50 buyins because then you don't really see any effect during a short period of time.

How can I avoid any emotions at poker?
Old 11-30-2007, 12:41 PM

Poker has to be played for stakes that have some meaning to the player. Imagine playing poker for fun with nothing at stake not even your ego. Since winning or losing is meaningless the game itself would become meaningless. Disregarding any potential psychological effect, playing poker without a risk reward motiff would soon cause even the most conservative nit to soon lose interest.

[ QUOTE ]
REGARDLESS how big your bankroll is,

[/ QUOTE ]

Although many may disagree, I believe that, the size of your bankroll is not the ultimate consideration when deciding what limits to play.

If you are a professional player you want to play at a limit that is within your bankroll and affords you the best opportunity to make the most money.

If you are an amatuer player and want to play your best game then you should play at a limit that is also within your bankroll but is also comfortable psychologically. By that I mean that you play at a limit that affords you an opportunity to win an amount of money that is meaningful to you while at the same time a loss would not be devastating to you psychologically or finacially.

If you are Bill Gates then there really is no reason to play poker except for the fun of it.

pokervintage