Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2007, 08:47 PM

Default What stocks are bargains right now?

I somehow made a fluke-ily good move by selling some of my mutual funds a few weeks ago in order to move money into a self-directed investing account.

The money is non-retirement and is from poker winnings so I'm not afraid of risk. Looking for some general direction.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:52 PM

Default Re: What stocks are bargains right now?

Look for an emerging sector that not many are aware of.............go with your strengths and what you know best.

For me personally, I'm a big backer of most ethanol based stocks that are going to produce ethanol from other sources beyond corn.

Pacific Ethanol is my favorite play in this sector at the current time, a stock that Bill Gates has a huge stake in.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:55 PM

Anyone who can give you a realistic answer to this question is probably not inclined to do so. Most people in this thread are just going to tell you to buy index funds, and they would be right. See the recent thread on index funds to learn more about proper allocations and risk profiles.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:04 PM

I'm fine sticking it back in index and dividend funds which is where my money was in the first place.

Just thought someone may recommend some bargains in the financials, etc., something hit especially hard recently.

My knowledge strength is technology but I don't touch that due to over-exposure from my own comanany's stock purchase plan.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:06 PM

Countrywide Financial will eventually, if they don't, throw in every towell you own and move out of the country.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Look for an emerging sector that not many are aware of.............go with your strengths and what you know best.

For me personally, I'm a big backer of most ethanol based stocks that are going to produce ethanol from other sources beyond corn.

Pacific Ethanol is my favorite play in this sector at the current time, a stock that Bill Gates has a huge stake in.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are how many years away from having an operational plant? It's dead money till then. And it might not be too live afterwards, depending on whether or not government subsidies are continued.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Countrywide Financial will eventually, if they don't, throw in every towell you own and move out of the country.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is based on what? If Aegis and American Home can go bankrupt, what makes Countrywide so special?

And it seems like Countrywide's CEO doesn't agree with you either because almost every day he sells two million dollars' worth of his stock.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:38 PM

USG
Old 08-15-2007, 11:32 PM

HAL
Old 08-15-2007, 11:44 PM

AAPL
I still believe Apple Stock is a steal at $119. Apple stock is a home run. The iphone and ipod is what everyone is excited about right now, but your going to have to tack on the high growth of their computers and laptops sales.

BUY BUY BUY