Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2007, 01:14 AM

Default Top set HU on ugly flop

Full Tilt Poker - Pot Limit Omaha Cash Game - $0.50/$1 Blinds - 3 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

Hero (SB): $101.55
BB: $118.15
BTN: $107.75

Preflop: Hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">BTN raises to $2.25</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $7.75</font>, BB folds, BTN calls $5.50

Flop: ($16.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $15.00</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to $30.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises all-in to $93.80</font>, BTN calls $63.80

Turn: ($204.10) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 All-In)

River: ($204.10) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 All-In)

Pot Size: $204.10 ($1 Rake)

Villain seems LAGy and decent over 4-5 orbits, just got down to 3 handed and first time 1 3 bet him.

Is this standard? I am new at the PLO, Would calling and donking a decent turn card be better?
Old 08-15-2007, 03:03 AM

Default Re: Top set HU on ugly flop

3-handed after preflop action your line is ok. Most of the time you're against straight but often enough opponent can have also some inferior hands here.

Call and shoving turn is also possible if opponent gives up straigth when club comes (We're naturally hoping that he is not drawing to clubs).
Old 08-15-2007, 03:53 AM

This is ok, but that miniraise by button seems awfully suspicous. The problem is that if you dont push flop you are out of position on turn with less than psb behind.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:04 PM

i cant think of any better way to play out this hand for every street. reraising qqxx ds preflop is a given, you cant check that flop and give a free card unless you know he will bet a wide range, you cant fold or just flat call his min raise. if he flops the nuts then i think you just have to pay him off. what was the showdown???
Old 08-15-2007, 02:32 PM

OOP I can't see any other line but yours, really, and I'm not sure I wouldn't do the same thing with position, although then I think flat calling a pot bet is at least an option.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:50 PM

Irunnotgood – I don’t know how Villain plays.

There are 12464/148995 ways four random cards could contain J-T. The odds are 136340 to 12464, or about 11 to 1 against it.

Assuming no bias for or against J-T as a two card combination, figure one time in eleven, Villain will hold J-T-X-Y while the other ten times Villain will not hold J-T-X-Y.

Thus you should start out thinking Villain probably doesn’t have JTXY and bet this flop for vaue, to make play more difficult for your opponent, and to avoid giving Villain a free ride to draw out on you.

(And you do that. Seems right to me).

But when you bet this flop Villain, if an experienced player and not holding J-T-X-Y, probably realizes you probably do not have J-T-X-Y either.

And Villain raises. Villain might hold a jack or a ten making it even less likely than 10 to 1, from Villain’s perspective, that you actually hold J-T-X-Y.

Now the question becomes, “How often will Villain raise without the nuts in this situation?” (I don’t know the answer).

If Villain will always raise with the nuts, and will raise without the nuts as much as one time out of five, then Villain is roughly twice as likely to not have the nuts as to have the nuts. (2/10 compared to 1/11)

If Villain does have the nuts, J-T-X-Y, Hero still may win the day if the board pairs. From hero’s perspective, the board will pair on the turn or river 341/990 or about 34.4%, roughly one time out of three.

[ QUOTE ]
Is this standard?

[/ QUOTE ]I don’t know. [ QUOTE ]
I am new at the PLO, Would calling and donking a decent turn card be better?

[/ QUOTE ]No. I think it would be worse.

Given your description of Villain, I think Villain will semi-bluff raise here at least as often (only has to be one time out of ten) as he actually will have flopped the nut straight. And even when Villain does have the flopped nut straight, Hero still has a one in three shot at out-drawing Villain.

The danger is Villain may be drawing for a flush. Merely calling Villain's raise is poor because Villain gets a free draw for the flush. Folding is poor because Villain may be bluffing, and even if not bluffing the board may pair, giving Hero a highly probable winner.

The third option is for Hero to re-raise. <ul type="square">If drawing for the nut flush, and if Hero only raises to $60, Villain will have favorable implied pot odds to pay another $30 to draw for the flush.

By raising all-in, Hero takes away Villain’s possible implied pot odds and reduces Villain’s pot odds to about 2 to 1, which is unfavorable to draw for the flush (or a straight).[/list]Therefore I think Hero’s best play is to give Villain unfavorable odds to continue in the event Villain is drawing.

Alas, when Villain calls, Hero is fairly certain he is up against the dreaded flopped nut straight. (But I think it was more likely before Villain called that Villain did not have the nut straight than he did).

Buzz
Old 08-15-2007, 08:44 PM

He had JTxx with no hearts so I was a 60/40 dog with my backdoor FD. But I guess I played the best I could.