Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 06:39 PM

Default New Setup - Is this worth it?

Mods, not sure where this belongs, feel free to move.

I'm considering purchasing a new PC and triple monitor set from www.digitaltigers.com

I'm just wondering if there are any better deals out there for this type of thing.

Here is what I want:
Power Trio 24x

Statosphere Z GX3 (digital signals for each monitor at up to 1920x1200
http://www.digitaltigers.com/stratosphere-z2120.php

Breif Specs:
Stratosphere Z 2121 GX3 (silver) $2,299.00 $2,299.00
∙ Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 1.86 GHz dual-core processor
∙ 2GB RAM DDR2-667 (Upgradeable to 4GB)
∙ 250GB Seagate serial ATA hard drive with 16MB buffer
∙ Quiet 16X dual-layer DVD±RW burner
∙ Gigabit Ethernet LAN port

With speakers, delivery, and combo discounts this setup comes to about $4250.

Is this crazy or would I be better off just getting a decent Dell and upgrading the video cards etc.

Any input is appreciated
Old 07-27-2007, 07:31 PM

Default Re: New Setup - Is this worth it?

They seem a little pricey.

A solid 24" wide screen monitor will run you about $550-650 each. So figure $1,800 for the monitors by themselves.

They are charging $4,250.

The computer they offer doesn't even come close to approaching the difference ($2,450).

Parted out you are paying them $1,300-$1,500 to assemble the machine basically.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:28 PM

The stand is probably worth another $300 or so, but it isn't necessary. It is generally overpriced, but if you don't have the time (or have a good hourly) it might be reasonable for you.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:25 PM

The thing I don't get is that they advertise "zomg super Ultra-fast NVIDIA professional graphics" but then later on in the spec sheet they show a 300w power supply.

They never tell you what video cards are being put in, but I doubt 2x ultra fast top of the line nvidia cards are going to run on a 300w power supply.

Semi-high end (in the upper $200 / lower $300 range) nvidia cards specifically say they need a minimum of 400w to even run. That is just to run a single card too.

As for the stand price. Yep $250-300 sounds about right. The thing is though, if you have 3 normal monitors (they each have their own base) then you won't need a $300 stand since they will be able to stand next to each other flush.

In a way I think think is a benefit because you can angle them as sharp as you want or even split them as you see fit.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:22 AM

This is a terrible deal. Do not buy this system.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:13 AM

If you have that much money to spend and don't get at least one 30" monitor running at 2560x1600, then you shorted yourself. For poker, such a monitor is unequaled. I have a 30" monitor surrounded by two 20.1 LCD's. If I got rid of the 20.1 monitors, I'd be fine with just the 30".

Seems like you got the money. If you can, just build a setup. If not, a Dell is better than that PC. Add the monitors and you will end up spending less.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:33 PM

Thanks for the advice so far. After seeing the replies and doing some comparisons, it definitely seems over priced. I think I'm going to have my buddy make a list of stuff for me to buy, ship it all to him, and pay him to assemble it. He's built PCs for himself in the past, so I think he'd do a good job.

One thing I'm not sure about is the monitor stand. The digital tigers setup looks pretty slick in the picture on a single stand. I have not had any luck finding a triple stand to purchase. Any suggestions?

Digital Tigers has Zenview Manager software with a smart taskbar, move window functions, etc for 3 monitors. What do you guys use for multi-monitor manager software?
Old 07-30-2007, 03:11 PM

If you have 3 regular monitors they will each have their own stand (like the middle one in the pic you supplied above). You shouldn't need a special stand unless you want to get a bit frisky and mount them on your wall.

[ QUOTE ]
I think I'm going to have my buddy make a list of stuff for me to buy, ship it all to him, and pay him to assemble it. He's built PCs for himself in the past, so I think he'd do a good job.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is your best bet. Of course, if you really trust each other then you should have him order the parts directly and ship you the end result (maybe even order the monitors yourself because either way you'll have to plug them in on your own). You'll save a lot of time and some cash.

I use 2 monitors with no extra software. The concept behind multi-monitors is not very complex. It's basically 1 large resolution split into multiple displays (in terms of how it acts).

If you want a browser to be on monitor 2 while another window is on monitor 1 all you have to do is drag the browser past the edge of monitor 1 and it'll seamlessly move over to monitor 2.

If you want a separate task bar or different wallpaper for each monitor and some other features Ultramon is good (google it for a link).