Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: The best tactic for showing hands is
showing hands opposite your style of play to create your desired image (show bluffs if your tight, show big hands if your lag) 9 14.06%
showing big hands and bluffs equally to confuse opponents 4 6.25%
to never show your hand, to keep the most information hidden. 51 79.69%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2007, 03:20 PM

Default Re: A 3-bet pot poll.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you shove a spade, Eagles? Randomizing factor?

[/ QUOTE ]
Misread the OP thought we had a BDFD

[/ QUOTE ]

we do, and we should shove a spade

[/ QUOTE ]

Flop comes 678r, without backdoorflush for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's what i meant, we don't
Old 05-23-2007, 03:46 PM

Agree with AE
Old 05-23-2007, 04:09 PM

You should check every turn, I would think. You made the flop play bec you didnt think he'd call a c/r lightly. Now he called it. By firing the turn, you're just playing into his trap. I see this all the time preflop. Hero reraises someone because he doesnt think he'll call the reraise often. He calls the reraise, but Hero still fires the flop. Of course villain shoves. Same situation here. Just check and fold most of the time. If you hit an ace, I'd check and call. If I hit a J, who knows, but probably check and fold.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:13 PM

id probably just 4bet pf and call a shove
Old 05-23-2007, 04:23 PM

Is this checkraise amount believable? Seems he would float a lot here and make your life difficult on the turn. Would you make the same play with AA?
Old 05-23-2007, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should check every turn, I would think. You made the flop play bec you didnt think he'd call a c/r lightly. Now he called it. By firing the turn, you're just playing into his trap. I see this all the time preflop. Hero reraises someone because he doesnt think he'll call the reraise often. He calls the reraise, but Hero still fires the flop. Of course villain shoves. Same situation here. Just check and fold most of the time. If you hit an ace, I'd check and call. If I hit a J, who knows, but probably check and fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? See I feel like I follow through far less often than I should be, probably 10%. So people have this perception of me(and its mostly true) that i'm only following through with my best hands on the turn. So they can bascially call with any piece on the flop and pick up the pot when i give it to them on the turn.

And then of course my image is even worse than usual and it becomes even harder to pick up the pots in the future where no one has anything.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:43 PM

i think his range is 99-JJ, and also 97 and 98. so id give up on a T, 9, and 5. i'd shove everything else. not sure why we are checking aces tho?
Old 05-23-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

TWP, no man. People peel one time with mid pairs here, 99-JJ that don't appear to be ahead of anything but a bluff (like we've got). Now that we get here, we should know exactly where we are in the hand (behind) and he should know exactly where he is in the hand (ahead of only bluffs). He calls our flop CR because he thinks he's got showdown value and he wants to get there real fast. He doesn't shove pair + draw becasue he thinks you'll only CR with bluffs and hands that want to get all the money in the middle ASAP. He calls to hit his draw and becuase his call looks strong and you'll shut down a good % of the time.

That is why we can't shutdown always.

We need to keep going a lot.

W/O a flushdraw on this flop, our CR looks extraordinarily strong. We shove, we might fold two jacks here with OPs description of our image. C'mon now, we gotta do what they don't want us to do, and checking to let him know his TT is now way ahead is just no good. Our range doesn't have to be merged on this CR, and he should know that (although it can be polarized, we become extra deadly when it isn't, but that's another level about 5-10 NL). Therefore, we have to increase our bluffing frequency to fold out made hands that are ahead of his "lol this guy will check and shutdown" range. Since hands like JJ/TT are so identifiably in that range, we've got to make him make mistakes by folding it.

Additionally, he will shove the flop with a large % of hands. Since our range is what it is and the board has a mediocre amount of action killers, he should probably shove a bunch of hands that want to play an all in pot but have the capability of having their action killed. For example, he'll probably shove KK/AA (and for good reason) because they're ahead of our check raising range, but are more vulnerable... along with these hands, two pair are likely shoves. Although I think he'll flat with a straight or a set (some mediocre % of time, player dependant) because of this bluffing frequncy that we have (and are about to take advantage of) and the fact the board is rainbow and he can slowplay something so strong, betting again is a chance we have to take because many more of his hands are in the medium strength made hand hoping you'll shut down category.

I thought this was somewhat basic, but given our clean image, gotta do it.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If a J hit, I'd play it fast, so as to balance out my two barrels and split his range of 99/TT and QQ+.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
id probably just 4bet pf and call a shove

[/ QUOTE ]

And I wonder why you are losing so much money?!

duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh