Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 05:04 PM

Default Poker Laptop Decisions

Whats up guys.

I need a desktop replacement kinda laptop, I already have a dell 20inch monitor and will probably get another one in 3 months for a 3screen setup (2x 2007s + laptop).

WRT two secondary monitors, I heard a splitter can be a bit rubbish and cause a 5mm black strip at the edge of the split monitors? A different route could be getting a pcmcia video card, will this be possible for all new laptops?

Also I seriously cant decide on what size laptop / res to get.

One thing to note, I plan to go travelling for 3-6 months in 2 yrs time and will likely need a 17inch 1920x1200 laptop for then (so I can still grind). But until then I would probably prefer a more lightweight laptop (15 inch) considering multi-tabling won't be a problem as I'll have 1 or 2 monitors on my desk.

So maybe get a lightweight 15 inch now and then in 2 yrs before travelling upgrade to a 17inch for multi-tabling?

Id like to hear what people think of the large 17inch 1920x1200 laptops. How easy is it to view the detail (players names + HUD) and how annoyingly large are the machines?

cheers [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-18-2007, 11:29 PM

Default Re: Poker Laptop Decisions

IMO, 15.4" and 17" WUXGA laptops are just equal in terms of viewing for multitabling. Typically, I play six tables on my Dell Inspiron 6000 but when games are good, I go to nine tables. At nine tables, the resizing artifacts become apparent. But you get the same artifacts with a 17". I also run PAHUD and at 9 tables it is hard to see. But again, this is the case with the 17" as well.

I prefer 15.4" since 17's are just too big. Even if you don't travel, getting used to a 17" is quite a task. But there are others that swear by them. If you do get a 15.4", go with the Alienware, it will be your lightest most inexpensive solution.

Good luck.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:45 PM

17" is definitely not something I consider portable. I had one for a while and it was quite uncomfortable to travel with.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:23 AM

Thinkpad T60p 2623DDU

Best value in terms of price, performance, portability, and screen size.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:53 AM

I've also been thinking of a new laptop with a WUXGA screen, and am concerned about how small everything would appear.

Is there not an easy way to try this on our desktops? I'm thinking if I take a screenshot of 4 tables on my 204B monitor, then scale the image down to the size of a 15" screen, that should give me a good idea of the size of everything. I know the resolution would be all effed up, but it should be accurate for size, shouldn't it?.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:40 AM

I know in Vista, some of the items are larger to compensate for high DPI displays. It does a much better job than XP.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:17 AM

I wont be going for vista, sticking with XP for a good few more yrs I think till vista becomes more standard.

I'll checkout them Thinkpads.

Im starting to lean towards 15inch one so I can easily browse 2p2 from the sofa [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2007, 06:34 AM

You won't be able to find the 15" 2623DDU directly from Lenovo. You can get UXGA res from that model. The next step down is SXGA which is also equally good, just less res. If you want to buy direct from Lenovo, PM me and I might be able to get you EPP discount.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:28 AM

Yeah I googled that model num and didn't find much. I may just go with a Dell tbh.

BoboFett: Doing that will only show you the size of the poker table but not the detail / definition