Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 11:19 AM

Default Preferred laptop size

I have both a desktop and a laptop and I am considering selling my laptop because i have 2 computers at home. My laptop is a 15.4' dell inspiron 6000 that i bought 1.5 years ago. Does anyone with a 15.4 laptop feel like its way too big to be called a laptop or heavy to carry outside? I do occasionally play poker on my laptop and its pretty good though theres overlap but i don't use my laptop as that primarily reason.

Would most people agree that a 14.1 laptop is generally the best size for a laptop? I bought a 14.1 laptop for my sister and it looks like the size a laptop should be. I seen the 12.1 laptop but it is definitely way too small since typing is pretty hard.

So is 14.1 the preferred laptop size for most people that don't game much but use it for browsing, music, some poker and chat? There's the 17', 15.4, 14.1', 13.3, 12.1 and a 10' laptop i saw a friend of mine had.

I feel its 14.1 because i can carry it outside without a hassle and the one i currently have 15.4' seems to be just big.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Preferred laptop size

13.3 is most ideal i think, i like 14.1 too.. you're not going to be able to like 9 table or anything though
Old 06-06-2007, 11:57 AM

yea i don't play to play poker in it much. Maybe just 1 or 2 tabling on it but more on my desktop.

Can you explain why we see so many people purchase 15.4 and 17' laptops and they like it? Some even say 15.4 they like because it is lightweight and easy to carry. I feel that my 15.4' is already big enough.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:17 PM

I had a 15" Vaio and have a 15" PowerBook and think that is the proper size for a laptop. You can fit a full size keyboard, you can fit a full size page of text at a resonable font, you can watch a movie without it being too small. It fits in a normal sized backpack or messenger bag and fits under the seat on airplanes. Unless you are looking for an ultra-portable why go smaller? 17" is moving into the desktop replacement range instead of actually being portable. 20" is just silly.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:35 PM

it would seem to me that you should choose a laptop size depending upon how often you're going to be using it to move around.

thus, if you're not going to move it, i'd get the biggest one.

if you're going to always be on the move with it, i'd get the smallest one.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:30 AM

I've got a Dell Inspiron 6400 15.4" and I love it. It is my main computer and I spend 8-10 hours a day on it and carry it everywhere I go. I take it with me to my office every morning, then back home every evening and pretty much everywhere in between. It sits in my lap, on my desk, on the arm of my chair etc. I really don't think it's too big. Anything bigger would be too much for me, but anything smaller and I'd feel like the screen was too small.

I had a 15" screen on my last laptop and carried it everywhere just like my new one. Some people think 15" or 15.4" is too big.....to each his own. Whatever you are comfortable with is all that matters.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yea i don't play to play poker in it much. Maybe just 1 or 2 tabling on it but more on my desktop.

Can you explain why we see so many people purchase 15.4 and 17' laptops and they like it? Some even say 15.4 they like because it is lightweight and easy to carry. I feel that my 15.4' is already big enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer to this question is that they do not make WUXGA 1920x1200 panels smaller than 15.4". For a poker player, 1200 verfical pixels are a must. Even with table resizing, if you don't have this display resolution your tables will have lots of resizing artifacts.

I have the Dell Inspiron 6000 as well and at times it is a bit beastly. I believe my next laptop shall be a Lenovo. I like the lightweight design from Lenovo. I have one issued to me from work, but it only has XGA resolution. I may also go with a 4x3 UXGA 1600x1200 display.

17" laptops are just too damn big, IMHO.