Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 09:04 PM

Default Northwestern Mutual

No idea where the right place to post this is. I have to assume I will get no intelligent responses in OOT etc, so here seems good. Mods please move if necessary.

I am 3/4 of the way thru the interview process for a Financial Advisor (read: insurance guy) with Northwestern Mutual. The interview process seems rather long and detailed, and I myself was not incredibly familiar with the company prior to this. I have previous sales management experience, but not of this kind. i am also aware that they have a reasonable training program and fair track record. Anyone previously work for this company, or be involved with them in any way? I'd like all the info I can get prior to taking the job.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:14 PM

Default Re: Northwestern Mutual

[ QUOTE ]
No idea where the right place to post this is. I have to assume I will get no intelligent responses in OOT etc, so here seems good. Mods please move if necessary.

I am 3/4 of the way thru the interview process for a Financial Advisor (read: insurance guy) with Northwestern Mutual. The interview process seems rather long and detailed, and I myself was not incredibly familiar with the company prior to this. I have previous sales management experience, but not of this kind. i am also aware that they have a reasonable training program and fair track record. Anyone previously work for this company, or be involved with them in any way? I'd like all the info I can get prior to taking the job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have several friends and family members who work for this company, but only know one who was a financial advisor.

This is a great company, however, the financial advisor position is more of a life-insurance salesman type position. There are several "financial advisors" who are able to build up a large client base and make >$100k after several years with the company. However, most of them end up quitting after 1-2 years when they realize how difficult it is to reach the top in this position.

If you take the position, the potential is definitely there to make a lot of money, but you will need create your own contacts and make your own sales -- they will not spoon feed it it to you.

It is a great company, but only take the position if you are a great salesman that has lots of contacts (or are great at developing new contacts) who are well-off and willing to invest in whole-life type investments. They might have a 401(k) program as well but life-insurance is their bread and butter.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:23 AM

Their headquarters is here in Milwaukee I believe. It's a HUGE company in town.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Their headquarters is here in Milwaukee I believe. It's a HUGE company in town.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:15 AM

My roomate just went through this (after I advised him otherwise), completed the training and was 2 weeks into the job when he could not do it any longer.

You will basically be doing a lot of cold calling if you don't have many viable contacts in the area. They will also ask you for your closest (100??) family,friends,etc list to get in touch with.

Also, forgot there was a dedicated website from former board and C-level executives about the poor practices of the company (I believe it was something like nmfnsucks.com or something but for some reason that site is not coming up anymore)