Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2007, 07:33 AM

Default unbelievable ignorance

If this person, the one who composed this laconic article, knows just how wrong he/she is in this context, is it the most evil thing possible to facilitate it's existence?

How can he not see how "Little" his god is?

[ QUOTE ]

The god of religions is a "little god"In attempting to prove his point that religions are stupid, Dawkins quotes Carl Sagan in Pale Blue Dot:

"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is much better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander more subtle, more elegant? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.' A religion, old or new, that stressed the magnificence of the Universe as revealed by modern science might be able to draw forth reserves of reverence and awe hardly tapped by the conventional faiths."

What Sagan failed to understand (and Dawkins, by quoting him) is that there is such a religion that directly ascribes the magnificence of the universe to the glory of the God who created it. The Christian scriptures say that God created time and the entire universe1 from what is not visible,2 and, as immense as it is, it cannot contain Him.3 This is certainly no "little god." These same scriptures tell us that the awesome nature of the created universe reveals God's glory and power:

[/ QUOTE ]

Cam
Old 03-01-2007, 08:16 AM

Default Re: unbelievable ignorance

you probably will never understand Sagan (sadly). Your god truly is a "little" god, who has no conclusive outlook on our little corner of the universe (either that, or he doesn't give a [censored] about us, either way, i don't really understand why a theist would suck up to him they way they do. If he ever existed, he left us long ago, this should be obvious). As far as Sagan failing to understand your god, the postscript to the quote made me laugh. Quoting christian scripture as a way to prove the awesomeness of god strikes me as silly. If you can't see the circularity of your beliefs, i'd rather not point them out to you, since i have better things to do. And as a sidenote, has Sagan's atheist tendencies doomed him to an afterlife in hell? Is god angry with him for doubting his existence? Answers please...
Old 03-01-2007, 08:23 AM

"The Christian scriptures say that God created time and the entire universe1 from what is not visible,2 and, as immense as it is, it cannot contain Him.3 This is certainly no "little god."

Do you not see the logical fallacy embedded in this quote? If not, please explain how one goes about creating a space in which the creator him/her self cannot exist.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"The Christian scriptures say that God created time and the entire universe1 from what is not visible,2 and, as immense as it is, it cannot contain Him.3 This is certainly no "little god."

Do you not see the logical fallacy embedded in this quote? If not, please explain how one goes about creating a space in which the creator him/her self cannot exist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is my post in condensed form. It seems those with religious belief have such in spite of, and in direct opposition to, logical acumen. I believe you have misunderstood my post however, assuming me to be religious. I am not one of religious conviction, however I was at one time.

In defense of those with religious belief, I turned from mine as a result of a certain bit of scripture, not because of logical arguments detailing such contradicitions within the textual and metaphysical basis of Christianity.

Ciao

Cam
Old 03-01-2007, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cannot contain Him

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
cannot exist

[/ QUOTE ]
What makes you think these are the same?
Old 03-01-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
cannot contain Him

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
cannot exist

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
a space in which the creator him/her self cannot exist

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[the creator] cannot exist

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 03-01-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not religious, but you honestly need to think outside the box to understand this stuff. For example, I have a small box of cookies sitting on the table next to me. My guess is whoever made the box couldn't fit inside.

I think the problem is that whoever wrote this didn't conceive of "the universe" as being everything that exists as you appear to. Rather "the universe" is more like the "world of man," or something like that.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a space in which the creator him/her self cannot exist

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not true about our world.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:48 PM

okay, i get it, maybe this god can exist outside of our physical spacetime domain. are you telling me we should be worrying about things outside of that (things we cannot EVER experience or make any claims of what exists out "there")?
Old 03-01-2007, 07:30 PM

Imagine a Venn Diagram with two circles one inside the other. The larger is named God, and the smaller is named the universe.