Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2006, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Going on my first cruise. Prepare me OOT!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sam, KB4Z, et al,

Did you guys have to wear a tux one night to dinner? That seems like an annoying tradition - it's YOUR cruise! Not sure if it's a practice still carried out.

[/ QUOTE ]

They do have "formal" nights. Hardly anyone wears a tux, but you should wear a suit or at least a shirt and tie. I'd wear a golf shirt and khakis for dinner the other nights. T-shirt/shorts is fine at all other times.

Formal nights are usually pretty nice, because everybody is dressed up and getting their pictures, etc. I wear a hat and jeans to work every day of the year, and it really doesn't hurt to get dressed up once on a weeklong vacation.

[/ QUOTE ]
What do you do if you don't bring a suit or just don't want to do the formal thing?
Are golf shirt/khakis good for the premium restaurants?
Old 09-06-2006, 11:21 AM

shipping out , by david foster wallace.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you do if you don't bring a suit or just don't want to do the formal thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have always brought a suit, but on these formal nights, you always see a few guys in less formal wear. Some in shorts and a t-shirt. But a majority do wear a suit, or at least pants and a shirt and tie.

Point is - they won't kick you out or not serve you if you are not dressed formall, but you will probably stand out a bit and look underdressed by comparison.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You can either eat in the dining room, and stand out, or just eat in the buffet or whatever. Or get room service.

The formal dress thing is only for the dining room.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
shipping out , by david foster wallace.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that's the article. It's awesome. I didn't know it was called something different (his book of short stories has this as the headliner and is called the aforementioned "A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again").
Old 09-06-2006, 12:05 PM

For all those that recommended paying more for the nice restaurants, I couldn't agree more. It is well worth the extra $20.

My wife and I sailed Celebrity Cruise Lines and after eating at their premium restaurant on the second night, we ended up making reservations for the last 2 nights as well.
The service, ambiance and food is just as good as any high-end restaurant that I've eaten at anywhere. It really is a treat.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:13 PM

My wife & I went on a 4 day RC cruise as part of our honeymoon. We were on the oldest ship in their fleet, so they didn't have any fancy extra dining rooms. The food in the main DR was fabulous. The only meal we've had that comes close to that quality was well over $100.

The formal night isn't a big deal... if that's not your thing, you can eat somewhere other than the main DR.

It was easily the best vacation I've ever been on. I'm pretty laid back, so any vacation that involves the opportunity to read 2 or 3 books is awesome.

The only downside is the credit card bill they slip under your door the last day. It's easy to lose track of how much you've spent when it's on the little sea card thing. We spent $600 in 4 days, and didn't ever get really drunk.

Also, since your wife can't drink, I recommend the unlimited Coke thing, at least for her. It's like $5 / day, and you get all the Coke & juice you want.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, since your wife can't drink, I recommend the unlimited Coke thing, at least for her. It's like $5 / day, and you get all the Coke & juice you want.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow. Nath and guids should look into this!
Old 09-06-2006, 12:20 PM

I guess it depends what cruise you're on, but you may want to be careful about how much food you eat. The one I went on, the food was pretty damn good. Easily $30+ entree if I would get it in the states, tons of options, completely free. I always ordered at least one appetizer, one soup, andn usually entrees. I tried everything that I hadn't before: frogs legs, escargot, creme brulee, soufflet; everything. Gained something like 10-15 pounds in 11 days. Don't be afraid to take advantage of room service. Having a dessert or burger delivered to you whenever you want FOR FREE completely rules.

And yeah, there will be a formal night. I think I dislike dressing up more than just about anyone else, but it wasn't bad at all. Maybe I got away with it cuz I'm a kid, but a nice pair of jeans and a button down long sleeve shirt was just fine.

In general, I would say to watch out for the excursions. If possible, search for reports of other people taking them (Does this even exist? Probably online). Excursions through the cruise ship are generally a huge rip off and you can do them locally for 1/3-1/2 the price. Plus a lot of times you have to do it with a bunch of your cruise mates and that blows, unless you're into the tourist thing.

I found the 'entertainment' on board to be atrocious. There was, however, a movie theater that didn't completely suck. If its just you and your wife, I think you'll be paired up with other couples or families at dinner and stuff, so I think finding a few people you like and having a good time with them (while on ship and nothing else to do) is a good idea.

Onboard gaming will probably only have blackjack and some slots. Depends from ship to ship though, I guess.

Also be very happy that you're going to Bermuda and not some place like Alaska. If you go somewhere like Alaska, the average age on the cruise will be around 75.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:02 PM

go to the dining room breakfast... they usually have a lot more than you'd get through room service.