Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 06:22 AM

Default aggresive p/f

i played in a turney last night,10seat tables,1 player was raising every pot p/f 3 or 4xbb,i have no problem with this usually,i just wait till i have a good hand and as other players calll with weaker hands i move in,and get a lot of chips, but everyone on my table was tight and folding,i never saw anything worth calling with when i was in bb,i let it go for a few levels, then when blinds started getting to 75 150 i thought enough was enough,i had 2000 chips and he raised to 300 , i had 10 8 suited and thought if i hit i am betting, 10 jack 5 rainbow hits the flop ,i bet out 600he moves all in and i call, he shows king jack for top pair and i dont improve so i am out, to tell the truth i thought afterwards ,all his p/f raises put me on tilt as i would never have called all in with middle pair 8 kicker,how do you play against aggresive p/f raiser if rest of table is vey tight and your not seeing any sort of hand
Old 10-16-2007, 07:05 AM

Default Re: aggresive p/f

Are you telling us that 10 8 was the best hand you saw? (so what that it's suited - too many people over-estimate suited cards pre flop. All it adds is a very small % advantage pre flop).

You obviously was on tilt but you still had a huge stack and this was not the time to put all your chips in. It can get frustrating but don't tell me 10 high was the best you had during all that time.

Patience is needed and you still had plenty of time. With the other tight players I think I would be raising pre flop before he was due to act with marginal hands. Sounds like plenty of early blinds were there for the taking. When he was acting before you and raising just wait for cards. You tend to find those type of players do not want to mix it with you when you raise first. They are looking for easy pickings.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:33 AM

yeah i did see a few hands like ace4 or king 5, but he was sat 2 seats to the right , i had position i know, and i have had lots of games like this and not had a problem just being patient and ready to re raise or trap, but as you say you just have to be patient,i couldnt aggree more, it was just 1 bad hand after another which did get me frustrated ,thats what i wanted an opinion on ,you cant let yourself blinded out and yes i acted too soon as i had a lot of chips left,but i decicded if i hit the flop i am betting ,afterwards i thought i must of been on tilt,
thats what i wanted an opinion on, when do you take a stand
do you back down after the flop just because a loose player bets .or do you decide this is it ,i am calling if he trys to force me out,
Old 10-16-2007, 07:50 AM

Please never decide to bluff at the beginning of a hand, it's a terrible idea.
I suggest reraising with air once and showing the bluff, that might slow him dowm.
Also, call more often. The fact that he raises doesn't mean he has a hand every time.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:28 AM

It is a tricky one and sometimes the poker gods just conspire against you. If someone is doing this from the start I will often re-raise earlier in game pre flop. When the blinds are smaller you can re-raise and still get away after flop with little damage done to your stack.

As the blinds get bigger I am looking for better hands but if I play I will tend to be re-raising rather than calling. The only trouble with doing it later is that you sometimes feel committed if he then calls. More often though he is folding to a re-raise unless you are unlucky and re-raised him when he actually has a hand. Thats poker though I'm afraid.