Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2007, 10:21 AM

Default Why is it called a donk bet?

Button raises to 4xbb. SB calls with QJs. Flop comes QT5 rainbow. SB bets into the original raiser. Isn't this a donk bet? Where the out of position player bets into the original raiser?

So I assume that since it is a called a donk bet it has negative connotations. Why? The only other play here for the SB is checking and calling a cbet, but that may be giving a free card. Why's it a donk bet?
Old 07-29-2007, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Why is it called a donk bet?

It's going against the pattern of betting so maybe at a time it was considered donkish.
Thats my best guess, IMO there's nothing really wrong with donk betting it builds pots after all.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:03 AM

i dont think this in automatic donk bet. you didnt mention how much the bet was in relation to the pot. if it was a small bet then it may be considered a donk bet. also, is there history with the button; LAG, TAG, does he do this often?

the button may be trying to steal. QJs is an okay hand to try to defend. on the flop, the SB is telling button it hit me(or bluffing). it also sets up future hands. button, dont steal unless you got the goods.

i cant give a good a defintion of a donk bet but i know when i see it
Old 07-29-2007, 11:27 AM

I've always believed "donk bet" means you bet first on a street into the raiser of the last street exactly like OP's example.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:51 AM

If the SB bets the pot into the button. Is it a donk bet?
Old 07-29-2007, 12:33 PM

i may be wrong but ive allways thought a donk bet was just any bad play ,donk being short for donkey,
Old 07-29-2007, 02:10 PM

I have always considered a donk bet to be when a player calls a raise preflop out of position, and then bets into the raiser on the flop.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:30 PM

A donk bet is any bad play.

Oddly, the example given in the OP isn't nessasarily a bad play. Button could have raised with all kinds of hands. While SB is OOP and QJ is easily dominated, TP with a medium kicker can easily be ahead of Button's range here. Better to find out now, on the flop, when bets are cheap compaired to later streets.

SB could have gone for a check-raise, but Button may have checked behind. No need to offer a free card so Button can hit two pair. Also, a pot size check-raise could cost twice as much as a pot size initial bet. Let's put presure on the Button when it's cheap, not when it's expensive.

Also, the check-raise can be seen as a pure bluff, and invites a bluff re-raise. Much better, IMO, just to take the initiative and bet out.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A donk bet is any bad play.

[/ QUOTE ]

no no no no no.

the way donk bet is used on 2p2 in the strat forums:

basically it's when you call a bet oop on one street and then bet the next. ie you check/call flop, lead turn.

there's nothing inherently wrong with donk bets and they're the correct play a lot of times.

the term came from limit hold em. originally they were called "gay bets" but there was a little crusade to get the name changed. the name was changed to donk bet because most people who made the play were donkeys.

nowadays the game has changed a little and people have figured out better lines and even though it's called a donk bet there are usually lots of places for it, at least in NL. can't speak too much about limit.

also, afaik, the term is 2p2 specific.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:20 PM

No bet is more donkish than a low limit SNG player betting $50 into a 700 pot. Even worse is the players that fold to it after calling a PF raise. YOu have to be honkey donkin to call a PF raise then fold getting 14-1 odds.