Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 11:48 PM

Default Dissatisfied with # of 3rd place finishes.

Starting last Thursday, the 21st, I began playing in the $250 PM SnGs on Full Tilt. My first 5-game session went well, as I cashed in 4 of them. Although I was satisfied with the 80% win rate, I was dissatisfied with the number of 3rd place finishes making up 75% of my total finishes. Re-evaluating my 3rd place wins, I found that I am either severely short-stacked after bubble play & I am blinded out or that my TAG style begins to slip & I find myself playing weak-tight. now, realizing I hadn't read up on my SnG strategy articles, I skimmed a few that I was linked to through SnGWIZ & found that my TAG style is fine up until the 4 or 5th level, when blinds are 50/100 or 60/120. At this point, I read that I should be limping in with mid- to late-position with mid-pairs & mid- to high-suited connectors (basically, 77+, 89s+). Unable to stay away from the tables for any significant amount of time, I strayed away from the articles & began another 5-game session. Only this time, I cashed in only 2 of them. A 2nd place finish, & again, a 3rd. Later, I played in 6 more SnGs, cashing in 4, bringing my day's results to 10 cashes in 16 sngs, a ~67% win rate & a $1,400 profit. This would've been all fine & dandy if my 3rd place finishes didn't make up 70% of my day's total finishes. I just couldn't handle all my 3rd place finishes - they made me feel like I played nittish & was lucky to even make it in the money. So again, I skimmed through some more articles & tried to commit to memory what it was I was reading.

Next day, I cash in a monumental 3 out of 10 sngs. The negative profit I made up for grinding out the 5/10 NLHE tables, regardless, I was beginning to grow frustrated, but I realized variance was partially to blame. Anyways, instead of playing in more sngs, I took the day off to actually read the SnG articles SnGWIZ was linking me too. I attempted to act as a sponge & soak up all that was being talked about - early stage strategy, middle stage strategy, late stage strategy, & all that entails. After reading a few articles, I called it a day.

Yesterday, what I read apparently begun to sink in. Cashing in only 5 of 10 SnGs. This would've further dampened my spirits if 4 of the 5 cashes hadn't been 1st place finishes. The other finish was a 3rd, but the 1st place finishes said to me, 'It's beginning to sink in. You're beginning to realize the important of what you've been reading. Don't stop now, keep reading & keep applying what you're reading to the sngs you play in.' Now today, I've played a total of 17 sngs. Cashing in 11 of them, with three 1st place finishes, four 2nd place finishes & four 3rd place finishes. My goal for today was for my 1st & 2nd place finishes to make up the majority of my total cashes, & I have accomplished that thus far (I intend on playing in 4 more sngs before the day's end). Still yet, I just do not know what to do with all my 3rd place finishes. I've tried loosening up once the 4th or 5th levels come around, if I am short-stacked, I push with premium hands. If this gets me past the bubble, I then begin to attempt to steal blinds (when it's checked to me on a flop holding all low cards, I bet 3 to 4xBB) & the majority of the time, I am able to do so. But, what I often find is that I'm pushing (if I'm short-stacked) at all the wrong times. I realize I should probably be doing this only when i have position, but OOP, I feel that my pushes are accomplishing little, if anything at all. Nevertheless, what I would like to do is the following:

• Have my 1st & 2nd place finishes make up the majority of my cashes, rather than the minority.
• Be able to get past bubble play with a medium- to large-stack, rather than a severely limited short-stack.
• Become a consistent winner in sngs & eventually build my bankroll up to $40,000 to $70,000 so that I am able to play in the $2,000 sngs.

Now, I saw that many SnG players use ROI to gage whether or not they are doing well, so I decided I'd see what mine was just for kicks - because with such a small sample (52 games), I understand not much is being represented. Regardless, in 52 games, I've spent a total of $15,000 (Icommitted a sin & played in a game that my bankroll doesn't support - a $2,000 SnG in which I placed 3rd for $3,100) & I've made a total of $13,930. So if I read the RIO definition correctly & how to figure it out, it's 100 * total profit/total buy-in, thus 100 * 13930/15000 = 92.8 or ~93%. Meaning I have a 93% ROI, which I understand is pretty significant, as I've read that professional SnG players have between 30 - 100% ROI. I can only hope my ROI stays withint 20% of what it is now as my sample size increases. Regardless, I would appreciated any advice that could help me improve my SnG game. Especially how to lessen my 3rd place finishes & maxmimize my 1st & 2nd place finishes. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:00 AM

Default Re: Dissatisfied with # of 3rd place finishes.

Is this a joke?
Old 06-25-2007, 12:01 AM

.. no. Why would it be a joke?
Old 06-25-2007, 12:09 AM

People might think it's a joke because if its not, you are very dilusional.

Getting in the money 40% of the time would be very good. Have an ROI of 5% would be decent.

You are running insanely hot. I'd cash out your profit and go grind like the $27s until you A) learn how to play sngs and B) learn what realistic goals and results are.

You sample is too small to mean anything and I doubt you are an actual winner in the game.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
& was lucky to even make it in the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo.

When reality kicks in you will be very unhappy, I suggest quitting while you are ahead.

Edit: BTW just so you know it is extremely difficult to have a 20%+ ROI in the $16s, less in the $27s and much higher than that a one digit ROI is all that is usually achievable by even the best pros that play the game. It is IMPOSSIBLE to have anywhere near a 92% ROI in any game any stake if it is a single table tournament.

Lol disregard all I have said. Skipped over "PM".
Old 06-25-2007, 12:17 AM

Oh, I see why people might think this is a joke. Apparently PM isn't recognizable as meaning play money. I apologize. Regardless, it seems that you're (DevinLake) incredibly critical toward my post. I'm still learning the game (I'm 15 & have only been playing for a few months) & if what I've said seems unrealistic, dilusional, what have you, I apologize. Instead of being partially negative, could you try & be a tad bit more positive - explain to me what realistic goals & results are & give me tips, links, etc. pertaining to SnG play.

Again, I apologize for the confusion.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Although I was satisfied with the 80% win rate

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about stopping here but figured there might be some comedic value in this post. I was not disappointed.

Good luck with your 93% ROI!
Old 06-25-2007, 12:22 AM

Wait..........you're playing play money SnGs????
Old 06-25-2007, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, I see why people might think this is a joke. Apparently PM isn't recognizable as meaning play money. I apologize. Regardless, it seems that you're (DevinLake) incredibly critical toward my post. I'm still learning the game (I'm 15 & have only been playing for a few months) & if what I've said seems unrealistic, dilusional, what have you, I apologize. Instead of being partially negative, could you try & be a tad bit more positive - explain to me what realistic goals & results are & give me tips, links, etc. pertaining to SnG play.

Again, I apologize for the confusion.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can find a lot of stuff in the FAQ at the top of the STTF page. There really is no way to tell you anything if you've only played play money games.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:23 AM

Yes. Like I said, I'm just learning the game, 15-years-old & looking for some help..
Closed Thread