Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 05:43 AM

Default Deadlift question (prop bet help needed)

I have a online poker buddy who is a pretty serious powerlifter, who also loves to make pretty much any kind of prop bet possible. I have taken him on pretty much any fitness related prop bet he has made (lose x ammount of pounds in x weeks, run a 5k drunk in under 25 minutes, etc.) This one is rather frustrating for me to take though. The deal is this.
He is giving me 2:1 up to 5k that I wont be able to deadlift 3 times my bodyweight within 3 months (I want 4-6, but he is willing to lower the requirements for a smaller time frame). As of I am on more of a HIT/bodybuilding routine, and pretty much stay away from deadlifts, and squats, but I have done them before. I can probably get up 315 right now on my dead lifts. I am weighing 165 right now, meaning I would pretty much have to get up 500 pounds to win this bet. I am not asking if this is possible (because im likely to take this better either way, it seems to fun to pass up, and gives me a reason to work on my deads, plus im a prop bet fish).
My questions really are just HOW can I pack on the most weight, safely within 6 months on my dead lifts, and what other lifts can I do to help improve my deads. The biggest problem I see is it will be hard to do this without gaining weight, thus making it even harder for me to win.
Any help is appreciated, but please refrain from berating my prop bet fishiness lol.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:19 AM

Default Re: Deadlift question (prop bet help needed)

ask this guy

Old 11-16-2007, 07:38 AM

oh yeah I dont want to juice either btw..
Old 11-16-2007, 07:51 AM

no chance.

-Mike
Old 11-16-2007, 07:54 AM

I am moreso asking for help in improving my deadlifts, not advice on the actual bet, but yeah I know it's a fishy bet to take. What is the most, within reason could I expect to gain if I trained like a powerlifter for this.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:34 AM

are you taking any other action on this bet? i dont think even durrrr could lose this one if he bet against you
Old 11-16-2007, 12:55 PM

As a certified personal trainer/bodybuilder/powerlifter I'd have to tell you that what you are trying to accomplish is not an easy task at all. I would suggest you get on a 5x5 powerlifting routine. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbin...ge=5x5Training

Check out some of those articles, and find a workout that fits. I'd suggest getting knee wraps and wrist wraps, because you will be needing all the assistance you can get.
If you have any other questions like individual exercises to maximize your deads, give me a PM.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:59 PM

You could probably break 400 if lucky.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As of I am on more of a HIT/bodybuilding routine, and pretty much stay away from deadlifts, and squats, but I have done them before. I can probably get up 315 right now on my dead lifts.

[/ QUOTE ]

bi's and tri's baby!!!!

MAYBE with steroids you get this in 6 months. with no juice in 3months is probably +10k.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My questions really are just HOW can I pack on the most weight, safely within 6 months on my dead lifts, and what other lifts can I do to help improve my deads.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. The dead lift is a tricky thing in that for a lot of us, "it takes more than it gives." The good news is that there are a ton of assistance exercises that help improve it without you actually needing to do it.

Anyway, you could try to find a strength coach or inquire with powerlifters.

Short of that, I'd try something with 4 phases, breaks in between. I'd start with very high volume to develop strength, endurance, etc for the months ahead in the first. In the middle two I'd tweak amounts of dynamic and assistance with varying quantities of high intensity pulls trying to get an idea of how I'd put together/how my body responded for phase 4.