Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2006, 01:11 PM

Default 100/200 Live KK set

200/400 live.

good players, somewhat tight game. i have been killing the game for the past month, and most of the players try to avoid me.

i am dealt KhKc.

folded to me 3ed to act, i raise, hijack, co, button, bb all call.
this surprised me because the game had been tight. 5 to see the flop.

flop Kd,7d,Th

bb checks, i bet, hijack calls, co, calls, button calls, bb fold.

turn Ts
I lead, hijack calls others fold.
i thought about checking here. if there was a super aggressive player behind me i check. in nl sometimes i check if i think someone behind me will try to take away the pot. here i hoped that one of my opponents had a T and would raise, or with the diamond draw, gutshot, and flop that might have hit others, i would still get at least 2 callers (if not raised). i know betting is the norm, but with 3 active opponents behind me is it worth checking here?

river 8d

i thought this was a great card, and my lone opponent must have been on a flush draw.

i bet, hijack folds
(probably on a gutshot)

anyone try to get tricky by checking the turn, and why?
thoughts on all streets are welcome.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:37 PM

Default Re: 100/200 Live KK set

Amulet, I think you answered your own question on why just betting the turn is the best line. If someone has a Ten you will now get a chance to bet/3bet here which is fun and very profitable.

Plus there are also many possibe draws on this board, and no one showed any strength on the flop. What this information means to me is, more than one person is likely to call the turn drawing dead if you bet, but if you check, there is a higher probability than normal that the turn could get checked around which would be a very costly event for you. I think, in general, in these multi-pot situations, straight forward play will usually get more money in the long run than trying something tricky. The only time I would consider checkraising the turn instead of betting is if I had a strong tell/read that the guy directly to your left was going to bet if you checked.

About the river: Again, this is a great card for you. If your opponent has a marginal hand he will probably check behind if you check, but call if you bet. And if your opponent has a flush he will probably raise if you bet allowing you to get 3 bets in on the river. All this adds up to make betting the river again better than checking with the intention of raising.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:49 PM

I check the turn in your position, given the flow of the game you described. The paired board makes it tough for most draws except for OESD and diamonds. Especially since people are trying to avoid you. You'll get some action from a T either way, but by checking you give 3 hands a chance to improve to second best when the odds of them calling a bet are not that high.

As an aside thought: checking here can only increase the respect they give you.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:25 AM

Anyone like pausing at the river card for a couple seconds and checking (with the intention of raising)? Or do you think that lets a rivered flush get away too easy (can't bet/3-bet)?
Old 04-17-2006, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone like pausing at the river card for a couple seconds and checking (with the intention of raising)? Or do you think that lets a rivered flush get away too easy (can't bet/3-bet)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the way the hand played out your idea of pausing might work, but if he has a flush you need to bet/3-bet.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:56 PM

Amulet,

That turn card is so good for you that a bet/3-bet is likely. Therefore, I like betting.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Plus there are also many possible draws on this board, and no one showed any strength on the flop. What this information means to me is, more than one person is likely to call the turn drawing dead if you bet, but if you check, there is a higher probability than normal that the turn could get checked around which would be a very costly event for you. I think, in general, in these multi-pot situations, straight forward play will usually get more money in the long run than trying something tricky.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-19-2006, 05:28 AM

I bet the turn everytime. But I dont play that high. Im guessing one of the hardest part of that game is getting paid off with your big hands.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:26 AM

That seems like a great turn card to bet-3bet. I don't know what they called the flop with, but whatever it was, they're likely putting money in here too.