Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 04:46 PM

Default Kansas City

This is a follow-up to my St. Louis post (thanks for the replies).

What are the best places to play in Kansas City? I'm staying downtown, so I'm strictly concerned with poker quality and atmosphere.

As for St. Louis, Harrah's wanted $200+/night, so I'm staying at a Courtyard about eight miles away for a third the price.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:47 PM

Default Re: Kansas City

Harrah's
Old 09-10-2007, 08:10 PM

Harrah's if you want to play NL

Ameristar if you want to play Limit
Old 09-10-2007, 08:16 PM

Coincidentally I just played in KC while driving across the nation.

Ameristar just changed their game to 1-2 blinds with a $5 bring in. This change happened about 2 weeks ago.

Players are HORRIBLE. Not used to the new structure.

Was up $800 in two hours before getting rivered by AA when I flopped 2 pair (oh well, he rivered a set).

Point is, it's a great game with a bunch of donks.

Just be careful of the big black guy who is the obvious ring leader and carries a gun.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:34 PM

If it's not too late, you could call Harrah's back and ask for the poker room rate. Should be about $55 a night if you play 4 or 5 hours. They'll let you know.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:43 AM

Can anyone provide some information about the limits offered at Harrah's, Ameristar, and Argosy regularly. I am going to be in KC for a week in Nov and would like to play 5/10, 6/12 or 8/16 as much as possible during that time (I'm in MN and don't play NL at all). Is it possible to get a game pretty much anytime at one property over another. Also of the three, which hotel offers the best features other than poker (pool and wireless internet are the two biggies)?

I'll be in town just for poker (my wife has to be there and I have vacation time to burn) and will be driving so I don't care if it's convenient to downtown, highways, airports, etc. I also don't mind going from one room to another to play but would prefer to stay in one place all week and be able to find a game there most of the time.

Thanks in advance,
-A
Old 09-22-2007, 10:05 AM

I haven't been out there in about a year - I used to fly out once a month for work. But here's my perspective as of last summer - if you're a limit player, don't even look at Harrahs, pretty much all NL.

Ameristar has more limit, but almost exclusively $3-6. The problem is Missouri has a $500 "loss limit". You can only buy $500 every two hours, although a lot of under the table exchanges happened while I was there. To get around this, most players of the bigger games (described in a minute) just don't cash in their chips at the end of the night. Would suggest on your way through, stop & pick up $500, then pick up another $500 when you actually go to play and you should be good.

On Tues/Thurs and then friday-sunday, they get a $15-30 limit game going. I was never there for the weekend run, but I felt tues/thurs was pretty soft and passive with only 1 or 2 exceptions. Almost entirely consists of regulars who know each other, they'll chat about each others tendencies right out in the open, so you'll get a feel really quickly if you pay attention for the first hour. On Wed they had a $10-20 stud 8 game going (might have been half/full kill) & I believe another day (maybe also thursday?) they got a $15-30 omaha hi/lo (another kill game, so might have been slightly different limits, I remember it played pretty tight on the $500 limit).

Good luck - if you end up playing at Ameristar, post a report when you get back, I'm curious to hear from anyone who has played recently if the games are still good (I've got a lot of miles on midwest that I'm thinking of trading in & don't see why KC shouldn't get a look if the mid-limit games are still good...

Jigs
Old 09-22-2007, 12:51 PM

Thanks Jigs,

The $500 limit certainly won't be a problem if the game is $3/6 but how can they keep a $15/30 or higher game going with the loss limit law? Honestly, $15/30 might be a little out of my roll...did they usually have a $6/12 or $8/16 game open when you were there? Anyone else?

I'll also call the rooms, but they'll tell me that they'll spread whatever as long as there are players....not terribly helpful!

-A
Old 09-22-2007, 04:31 PM

You could buy in for more, but they wouldn't sell you more chips at the cage - so basically, after 2 hours, just buy more chips & if you're there for more than 1 day, just don't cash in at the end of the night & keep the chips, so they don't record you as buying at the cage. They're only tracking you there. It does mean everyone typically starts a little short on the 15-30.

I never saw any limit games between 3-6 & 15-30, so unfortunately you do have to make that jump if you're set on limit. The good news is that since someone running great in the 3/6 or winning one of the nightly tourneys has to make that big jump & typically dumped off the nights I was there. There were always waiting lists for other games in between, but I never once saw one go off. (maybe on the weekends?)
Old 09-22-2007, 05:33 PM

All you will see is $3/6 and $15/30, nothing in between, I am guessing you are used to Canterbury with every limit under the sun but that just doesnt happen often elsewhere