Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 07:03 PM

Default i made a move good play?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t1600 (9 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP1 (t76952)
MP2 (t34113)
MP3 (t59036)
CO (t23655)
Button (t31880)
Hero (t46210)
BB (t64243)
UTG (t48363)
UTG+1 (t6822)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls t1600, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls t1600, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t9500</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>,
Old 10-24-2007, 07:08 PM

Default Re: i made a move good play?

Don't see why not. Only way this is a bad move is if the limpers have shown they are not capable of limp/fold,but always do the limp/call.

I'm going to assume that you had a read tho,so I think this looks just fine.

Of course when I do this,MP calls,and I'm totally lost on what to do on the flop bc of stacksizes.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:09 PM

If you got BB, and both limpers to muck...yes, good move.

Otherwise, this is kinda read-dependent on what UTG might be limping with.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:18 PM

Pretty read dependent here..if you have prior hands played that lead you to believe the limpers won't call then it's fine..don't get yourself into a situation where you hit a Q on the flop and get attached to hand that is second best.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:46 PM

Personally, I hate this play either way, read dependent or not. You have ~30BB, why do you 'need' to make a move here? Sure, you're not top 10 stack, but I don't think you have cause to concern that you're going to fold/muck out here. I think there's definitely better spots to try and make a move, even if the UTG has 23.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:53 PM

Fold PF. You will have a much better spot before your M becomes a problem.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:08 PM

i dont think stacks are very good for this play. you're too deep and will be oop.

i'd complete preflop
Old 10-24-2007, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I hate this play either way, read dependent or not. You have ~30BB, why do you 'need' to make a move here? Sure, you're not top 10 stack, but I don't think you have cause to concern that you're going to fold/muck out here. I think there's definitely better spots to try and make a move, even if the UTG has 23.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm,unless you are down to nothing,or you have AA,you don't "need" to make a move.However,to accumulate chips you have to take the occasional risk,I'd actually say that this isn't that big of a risk.

Usually when people limp they have weakish hands,so why not try to steal?

You also say wait for a better spot. First of all,you never know if or when a better spot will come along,but let's disregard that for now.

I assume that you are against this bc of the weak hand Ham is doing it with. What is your range then for raising in this situation?

I mentioned accumulating chips. Unfortunately good cards aren't always forthcoming,so you have to work with what you've got. If you fold here,then hang around for a couple of orbits,you won't have enough chips left to make a move,to try to make something happen. Any raise will commit you to the pot,ie you need a good hand. Unfortunately,the good hand isn't coming.

With the stack here,OP can(and will I'm sure) fold if he is rr and still have plenty left. The key here is the stacksize,and I guess that's where we look at things differently. You believe that he should wait for a better hand,I believe that he should take opportunities like this to increase his stack and put himself in a situation where he's got enough chips to be able to win the tourney.

The more I look at it,the more I think this is a good move.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm,unless you are down to nothing,or you have AA,you don't "need" to make a move.However,to accumulate chips you have to take the occasional risk,I'd actually say that this isn't that big of a risk.

Usually when people limp they have weakish hands,so why not try to steal?

You also say wait for a better spot. First of all,you never know if or when a better spot will come along,but let's disregard that for now.

I assume that you are against this bc of the weak hand Ham is doing it with. What is your range then for raising in this situation?

I mentioned accumulating chips. Unfortunately good cards aren't always forthcoming,so you have to work with what you've got. If you fold here,then hang around for a couple of orbits,you won't have enough chips left to make a move,to try to make something happen. Any raise will commit you to the pot,ie you need a good hand. Unfortunately,the good hand isn't coming.

With the stack here,OP can(and will I'm sure) fold if he is rr and still have plenty left. The key here is the stacksize,and I guess that's where we look at things differently. You believe that he should wait for a better hand,I believe that he should take opportunities like this to increase his stack and put himself in a situation where he's got enough chips to be able to win the tourney.

The more I look at it,the more I think this is a good move.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say it's much less EV than when we have a read that villains will limp fold. UTG limp scares me, why press it? complete, hit 2 pair / flush or go away... looks like you're trying to find spots for plays, not the other way around. We don't have the stack to be raising with the plan of folding to a shove.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:22 PM

it's all reads for this type of move obviously...

[ QUOTE ]

Fold PF. You will have a much better spot before your M becomes a problem.

[/ QUOTE ] this is hilarious.