Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 10:31 AM

Default NL10 88 --> flop overpair --> turn straight --> river board pairs

Ok, I am still working on my playing 88 and 99, so hereīs a hand I would like to ask you to comment on. Thanks in advance!

<u>Reads:</u>
I donīt know the villain. Iīm pretty new to the table. In those few hands, though, I have seen him raising all in to a donk-bet when his 99 made an overpair to the flop. This might be opponent dependant, because his lone opponent in that other hand was a very bad player who was making medium sized bets with medium strong hands, but calling all-ins when he shouldnīt.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP1 ($7.05)
MP2 ($2.40)
MP3 ($9.10)
CO ($8.15)
Button ($18.10)
Hero ($11.60)
BB ($9)
UTG ($9.65)
UTG+1 ($9.55)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $0.4</font>, Hero calls $0.35, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($0.90) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $0.6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.8</font>, Button calls $1.20.

<font color="blue"> Tiny overpairs oop position make me feel rather helpless. On the one hand side I donīt want to play them for a lot of chips. But Iīm also working on not giving in to all the c-bets, as they are missing as often as I do. </font>

Turn: ($4.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3.1</font>, Button calls $3.10.

<font color="blue"> Now thatīs a good card. I donīt think he has 98 here, as he is the preflop raiser, but if so, so be it. </font>

River: ($10.70) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero ?????

<font color="blue"> His turn play tells me he likes his hand. A straight I rather expect to raise my turn bet, but a set might call. Hope he has an overpair or something weird.

I check and call a lot of bets here.
But what if he shoves?</font>
Old 10-10-2007, 11:00 AM

Default Re: NL10 88 --> flop overpair --> turn straight --> river board pairs

If he shoves, you are getting about 3-1 on your money. Standard call as your straight is good enough more than 33% of the time.

An advantage of check calling is you allow villain to bluff, as opposed if you bet, only trips or higher call.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:08 AM

given pot and remaining stack sizes, there really arent a whole lot pf options here. It would help if u had stas and could narrow his range but that doesnt matter too much here. Bet river and call any shove. If he has a boat, then oh well.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:10 AM

Ok, thanks.

How do you play the flop?
Old 10-10-2007, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, thanks.

How do you play the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would check call, but c/r is fine. Since I probably have the best hand right now, I think my c/r would be larger to take it down right here. May possibly get you a free turn card if you whiff. A mini c/r is also a possibility if you are playing against a regular, I like to over rep a hand at times.