Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2006, 12:59 AM

Default Re: PS3 launch the worst in memorable history

Not really.. comparing Super Mario 64 to Resistance is not plausible.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:12 AM

To comparison it was similar to the ps2 launch, just smaller in scale.

PS2 launch was on Oct 26, 2000 (thank you wikipedia) and this year's launch followed in the same foot steps.

Just realize in the past 6 years, we are now more internet driven connected society. We didn't have the huge blog following back in 2000. Just imagine all the poker companies starting up back then. News traveled on the net, but not that fast.

Anyways the ps2 launch had these similar factors:
- High priced system (at the time)
- limited stock supply of consoles
- wait lines to get one at launch
- ebay bidding (not nearly the amount of auctions as this launch)
- horrible lanuch titles (most titles were bad, SSX was an exception)

Now obviously we have just opened the book to HD gaming. Games are more complex, harder to code, and just take many more months/years to produce.

Sony can not help it that a survey said 9 million US citizens said they would pay $600 to get one. Simple supply and demand. Sony wanted to be the leader in the new HD market and push Blu-ray technology. Now BluRay might be double edged. It might be the newest way for data stored on a gamedisc instead of a cd-rom or dvd-rom game. The cons, it being a totally different format from HDDVD, its harder/more expensive to produce and you are somewhat singling yourself out to a particular market. Its VHS/Beta max all over again.

What is Sony supposed to do, wait another 6 months till Summer 2007 to have a launch? Xbox360 would have over a year jump. I mean they didn't even start actually building consoles in the Taiwan factory till July this year. This system has a lot of power, and was designed for more of the future of HD gaming. Coders themselves admitted to the new cell processor, it makes the code more complex to run on the ps3. This is why many big name titles were pushed back.

The ps2 changed the market entirely. A majority of gamers didn't own a dvd player, and that help skyrocket DVD sales. The ps3 will probably further help push the HD market, esp since only 12% of households own HD sets.

Plus you can somewhat blame Sony for all the launch day chaos, but that is really a majority of the stores fault. Gamestop trying to be #1 oversold their orders. I hate that company. Places selling it on opening day should have simply posted a big sign stating how many units they had. I think if a sign said "Only 20 units in stock" I bet a lot of people would bave turned away. Plus some of these stores made it a point not to allow campers in their parking lot. Well most of the news videos where you saw riots/brawls happen is because they had places with like 2-3 security guards and 150 people waiting to make a 100 yard dash to get to their spot in line.

Except for the Wii, the past consoles launches have really had sub par launch games. The last system I recall that had a fully stocked launch lineup.... Sega Dreamcast. When did it come out? 9.9.99

Sony's plan is a bit different than Microsoft's. Microsoft wanted to mainly become #1 in the video game market. Sony's gameplan was to be #1 video game console, but also the #1 entertainment console.

We will only know the tip of the results come Xmas next year. GTA baby!
Old 11-22-2006, 03:45 AM

Anyone else agree the PS3 commercials just plain suck?
Old 11-22-2006, 07:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sony can not help it that a survey said 9 million US citizens said they would pay $600 to get one. Simple supply and demand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Its not at all this simple. That's implying that there's some obvious formula that they followed. There isn't. The success of their platform is a very complex mix of a ton of factors, and I don't think anybody on 2+2 is really qualified to analyze the situation. Like most things, we'll view current events through the lense of hindsight.

Common sense tells me that a system's graphical abilities only matter to the point that customers appreciate them above other features, but really, only the response of consumers will be an acceptable measurement of that.

[ QUOTE ]
The ps3 will probably further help push the HD market, esp since only 12% of households own HD sets.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure if this statement was made in jest or sincerely. Jesus.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha yea, i really hope this isnt the same team that made the great PS1/PS2 Commercials.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
N64 Easily had the worst launch. Yes SM64 is an all time classic, but the launch was that and Pilotwings, that was it.

[/ QUOTE ]

u forgot about Waverace which completely kicked ass
Old 11-22-2006, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha yea, i really hope this isnt the same team that made the great PS1/PS2 Commercials.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the same team that made the PS2 commercials, I know that much.

The PS2 commercials sucked too.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
N64 Easily had the worst launch. Yes SM64 is an all time classic, but the launch was that and Pilotwings, that was it.

[/ QUOTE ]

u forgot about Waverace which completely kicked ass

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically, Wave Race wasn't a launch title. It came out 2 weeks or so later.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:02 PM

The commercials really blow. I like the Wii one were the japanese guys come to the door and go "wii want to play with you." Quirky commercials but I like them. The Gears of World/Donnie Darko "Mad World" is the best right now though.