Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 11:13 AM

Default NL100 - AK whiffs cbet, but turns Ace

So I took some shots at NL100 and it wasn't pretty [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. Villain here is running 17/10/1 over 50 hands, doesn't seem like an idiot is all I can say about him.

I think I totally butchered this hand as a prime example of FPS; help me out by berating me for it!

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.50/$1 Blinds - 8 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $95.75
BB: $100.00
UTG: $107.45
UTG+1: $10.55
Hero (MP1): $103.50
MP2: $247.75
CO: $195.30
BTN: $98.00

Preflop: Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (8 Players)
2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $4.00</font>, MP2 calls $4.00, 4 folds

Flop: ($9.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $7.00</font>, <font color="red">MP2 raises to $14.00</font>, Hero calls $7.00

Turn: ($37.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">MP2 bets $23.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises all-in to $85.50</font>
Old 07-31-2007, 11:22 AM

Default Re: NL100 - AK whiffs cbet, but turns Ace

Vs. an aggressive villain, I would probably fold to the flop raise 80% of the time, re-raise semi-bluff 20%. You just cannot fold every time you CB with missed overs. I don't like calling when OOP (unless a turn c/r bluff is in your armoury [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]). In position, I would raise or call it more frequently.

This play is the reason that I have call CB and raise CB on my HUD (obviously of no use in this instance with so few hands on him).
Old 07-31-2007, 11:26 AM

Its only butchered if villian has a 6, otherwise it looks like its played just fine. I wouldnt do this o the reg. but its a good change of pace, and typically if you check the turn, people will assume you missed and bet.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:47 AM

I'm not sure what his flop minraise means. In my experience, it is usually a monster or a cheap attempt to attack your cbet. I usually fold to minraises the first time and pay attention to his flop play.

As played, i think the ace sealed your fate if he had a monster. FWIW, i like the turn. You are now ahead of PP and his high cards.

Best case, he has a weaker A and he thinks that card helps him. Worst case, you get to see what his minraises means.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ii like the turn. You are now ahead of PP and his high cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is pushing correct here? He might allow a hand with 2 or less outs to fold.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:23 PM

I'm not so wild about the call OOP either. I'd like it a little better if you had a back door draw that could give you something a little better to check raise with on the turn if a good card comes. If the villain was raising you with a small pocket pair, he's likely going to check behind after your call. If the villain does bet, I don't think your top pair outs are good.

I think best case here is that the villain has the same hand as you. I don't see him betting with AQ, AJ, or an overpair to the flop. I think that check/raise is going to find you drawing to 2 outs a lot.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the push because I want to avoid the situation where our hand is best and villain checks behind on the river. If he was donking around without a monster, make him make a decision for all his chips.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the push because I want to avoid the situation where our hand is best and villain checks behind on the river. If he was donking around without a monster, make him make a decision for all his chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll get more value donk-pushing the river.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he checks behind on the river than he is probably not willing to call our shove anyways. That would mean the only way he is calling this 'decision for all his chips' is if he plans on taking all of your chips.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A good reason to push would be his AQ,AJ,A10 range. The minraise looks like either a made hand or any pocket pair that is putting you on AK. He has a very wide range here, and pushing I don't think is horrible. A donkbet on river is a good play as well, and I mix it up between the two.

P.S. Just fyi, after his minraise and then strong bet on turn, you can narrow his range widely. The lower PP's are out because he only raises those thinking you have AK. The mid pocket pairs also seem to be out. I don't think he bets that big with any PP hand but QQ/JJ, as KK can be ruled out preflop. Really I could even rule out those 2 versus most people who have a pfr of 10+

So my range now after reassessing?

A9s+,88-1010(maybe JJ),67s,56s,K6s,some x6s according to
your image.

If you have a certain image or anything I might be able to narrow this further, but this is what I am at IMO.