Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2007, 04:43 AM

Default Benevolent personal god

On another thread there was a post that was an oxymoron. That got me thinking, A to why, those who are so convinced of a personal god (regardless of the error of their ways [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ) feel the constant and abusive need to convince others, who may be more intelligent than to even consider the question of benevolent god (given their ability to see and understand their experiences), that their absolutely untenable view of a benevolent, and worthy of worship, god, is correct and necessary?

I mean if the god is personal, then everyone experience of it would be different and there is absolutely no value in trying to impose an individual view on anyone?
Old 09-08-2007, 06:01 AM

Default Re: Benevolent personal god

I think there is some ambiguity in your question...the psychology of theism spans an enormous spectrum. (And some theisms I personally wouldn't want to psychologize, even if I could.) Anyways, I can't answer your question, but can point out a distinction.

It is this: even theists vary wildy in their willingness to ascribe spirituality to their experiences.

Some theists are happy to see God's hand in everything. These credulous people believe that the enjoyment of a religious social gathering is Divine fellowship; and that the peace they feel when reading Scripture is direct proof of a personal relationship with Jesus.

Other theists are sufficiently self-skeptical that they have had only a few experiences where they felt genuine spiritual authenticity. (Actually, I suspect that many, many theists have never had an experience to which they could ascribe spiritual authenticity---if they were being completely honest.)

My point is just that the psychology behind proselytizing depends heavily on where a theist falls on this continuum. And certainly other variables are at play as well.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean if the god is personal, then everyone experience of it would be different and there is absolutely no value in trying to impose an individual view on anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you're using the term "personal God" in the same sense as most would. Most (I surmise) view the term to imply "a deity who takes a personal interest in the world in general and worshippers in particular" (wiki), not a God that is tailorable to the individual.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:47 AM

Hi Midge,

I do believe in a personal God, but I also believe that while following Jesus is necessary to a person's salvation, it is also voluntary. God will not force anyone to follow Him, so perhaps we Christians, while passionate, are sometimes a bit too pushy about it.

Let me ask you this: Why does it bother you so much that Christians are trying to convince you their view is correct?

Take care,

Txag
Old 09-09-2007, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Midge,

I do believe in a personal God, but I also believe that while following Jesus is necessary to a person's salvation, it is also voluntary. God will not force anyone to follow Him, so perhaps we Christians, while passionate, are sometimes a bit too pushy about it.

Let me ask you this: Why does it bother you so much that Christians are trying to convince you their view is correct?

Take care,

Txag

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't you heard? In his recently released video, Bin Laden invites us all to convert to Islam.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Midge,

Take care,

Txag

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't you heard? In his recently released video, Bin Laden invites us all to convert to Islam.

[/ QUOTE ]
No way! I don't believe you.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:23 PM

Its politics as usual, a personal god that wants different things from different people is no use to organised religon.

chez
Old 09-09-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1) people have a habit of imposing their beliefs on others.

2) same thing as people berating the fish

chez
Old 09-09-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this mean to say that the nonbelievers are the fish?
Old 09-09-2007, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this mean to say that the nonbelievers are the fish?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, just that its sometimes very hard not to rise to applied sillyness.

chez