Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How much?
$1,000 37 16.97%
$2,000 41 18.81%
$3,000 24 11.01%
$4,000 13 5.96%
$5,000 48 22.02%
$7,000 55 25.23%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-07-2007, 08:35 PM

Default Re: Exodus Story In Doubt

[ QUOTE ]
Don't you understand that you are not gonna change my views??

[/ QUOTE ]
That's funny, because I am 100% open to changing mine. Why engage in any of these debates if you are not actually open to debating anything?
Old 08-07-2007, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you not see past the torture part?? You certainly are hung up on it.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol. Why should we have to look past the torture? I hope this isn't part of your case for why following Yahweh is awesome.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:44 PM

Why do you 2 keep using Yahweh instead of God? Just curious.

And I have been debating almost nonstop about my faith for the last few days. "Giving in" & debating are 2 entirely different things. Please don't confuse the two.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, clearly it was necessary to subject Job to unimaginable physical and spiritual torment (and kill Job's children) just to make a point. About true spirituality. (No matter that it compromises any reasonable definition of justice or basic morality.)

Anyways, the point was apparently this: when you're God, you get to do ANYTHING YOU WANT. No, seriously, ANYTHING.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess so. But sometimes isn't 'anything' a means to an end?

[/ QUOTE ]

This just in: Brad supports suicide bombers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you take such special interest in me??

[/ QUOTE ]

Just showing you the biases of your own world view. You don't have to thank me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry I won't....Don't you understand that you are not gonna change my views??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I do know that. And I also know that the more you attempt to defend your views, the more clearly you illustrate the closed-minded thinking required to hold those views. And this may have a positive impact to those who may be reading and are struggling with this or other issues. The more we can show how closed-minded thinking warps someone's ability to reason, the better the world.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe I answered this in the other post...but I'll say it again. God is using Job to teach the world and Satan about spirituality. How to trust & believe in him.

[/ QUOTE ]

This might be one of the most unintentionally funny posts I ever read.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, clearly it was necessary to subject Job to unimaginable physical and spiritual torment (and kill Job's children) just to make a point. About true spirituality. (No matter that it compromises any reasonable definition of justice or basic morality.)

Anyways, the point was apparently this: when you're God, you get to do ANYTHING YOU WANT. No, seriously, ANYTHING.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess so. But sometimes isn't 'anything' a means to an end?

[/ QUOTE ]

This just in: Brad supports suicide bombers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you take such special interest in me??

[/ QUOTE ]

Just showing you the biases of your own world view. You don't have to thank me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry I won't....Don't you understand that you are not gonna change my views??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I do know that. And I also know that the more you attempt to defend your views, the more clearly you illustrate the closed-minded thinking required to hold those views. And this may have a positive impact to those who may be reading and are struggling with this or other issues. The more we can show how closed-minded thinking warps someone's ability to reason, the better the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I guess I'm closed minded then. Good luck to you.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you keep using Yahweh?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because that's his name. He isn't the only god mentioned in the Bible and I want to make sure we are talking about the same one.

[ QUOTE ]
And I have been debating almost nonstop about my faith for the last few days. "Giving in" & debating are 2 entirely different things. Please don't confuse the two.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol. Duly noted.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
God is using Job to teach the world and Satan about spirituality. How to trust & believe in him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, remember the thing about Job: he was THE ONE MAN ON EARTH WHO TRULY BELIEVED AND OBEYED YAHWEH. You can't twist this as a teaching on the rewards of believing in Yahweh. If there is any teaching at all, it's that Yahweh is ready and willing to screw you over at a moment's notice...just to win a bet with Satan...no matter how faithful you are to Him.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You certainly do have shockingly low standards for the behavior of a being supposed to be Good Incarnate. Torture? Murder? Fraternizing with the Devil? All in a day's work, if there's a point to be made!

And, again---what exactly was the point here? Go back and read Yahweh's final address to Job. He doesn't give any explanation or moral basis for what He did. He just says, "HOW DARE YOU QUESTION ME WHEN I AM SO BIG AND STRONG?"
Old 08-08-2007, 12:26 AM

"He made it seem like he was victorious because of his courage under fire, he didn't pretend like the whole event didn't happen."

And how do you know Ramses made it seem like he was victorious??? The Egyptians don't mention the losses of Amurru or Upi. That is only in the Hittite account. You are contradicting your own standards by making conclusions based on one account that is totally contradicted by another. There is only one primary source detailing the Egyptian losses with the Hittites, just as there is between the Egyptians and Hebrews.

Second, there is archaeological evidence of the Hebrews existing in Egypt and of the cities they conquered when settling into the promised land which corroborates the Bible account.

I am not holding the history of the Israelites to any lesser standard than that of the ancient Greeks or Sumerians, both of whom rely on their own records as the primary historical source.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The bottom line is that if the great majority of experts disagree with exodus OR agree with it ONLY because the Bible talks about it, you have a serious problem on your hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're wrong, David. That's not the bottom line.

The bottom line is this:

1. There has never been an archaeological find that has contradicted something in the Bible. Until this happens, what you speak about is just speculation.

2. What you speak about is actually consistent with what is in the Bible. The Bible says that Satan exists, and it says that he is a deceiver. Jesus also said that narrow is the way into the kingdom of Heaven. In other words, many will be deceived.

That's the bottom line. The good news is that God's gift of eternal life is free to those who choose to receive it.