Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2007, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Players who cannot fold A-K preflop deep in the WSOP ME?

Well, it's so easy. Sorry, guys, I'll try to explain because otherwise OP will last forever.

He had a read that villain was 3-betting light. He had a strong hand. He wanted respect for his raises. He wanted to put a villain to a test if he had 99 or 1010. He didn't mind a coinflip this late in the tournament if villain had balls to call with middle pair.

It's basic late tournament strategy. Especially for the guys who are laughing at you in this thread. They made a lot of money thanks to the guys who are folding AK or calling OOP in this spot.

Sorry, Scott/mastr. I just can't stand it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2007, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so stop flaming and tell me why it is correct to get it all in with just A-K?

[/ QUOTE ]

CUZ U GOT AN ACE!!

AND A KING!!!!!!

AND ACE AND A MOTHER [censored] KING!!!!!!
Old 07-15-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
omg donk you are so wrong in so many ways that it's sickening. Good players love people like you because they take all of your money.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's asking for insight and your acting like a pompous jackass. Don't even bother posting if you can't say anything constructive. The guy is trying to advance his game you clown.

[/ QUOTE ]

At the risk of being leveled, and trying to talk strategy somewhere it obviously doesn't belong, I'll try to explain it to OP. Ok, so it folds to Dag in the CO. Dag is extremely aggressive, and I'd bet he's taking a shot at the blinds here at least 30% of the time, maybe more like 50% (hell maybe ATC,) but we'll say 30% to be conservative. Tran knows this, so he could be reraising as a bluff, and even if not he can raise top 10-15% of hands for value in this spot. Dag knows AK is at the tip top of his range. He knows Tran is reraising top 10% at the very least here. However, Dag also probably feels that Tran is at least competent, and playing postflop OOP with AK will be tricky. Also, Dag knows that given Tran's wide reraising range, he can shove AK for value. Tran may call him light thinking Dag is making a move, he'll most likely fold, but even if not, AK crushes Tran's reraising range. Unfortunately for Dag, AA was in Tran's range. However, Tran shows up with AA here about 1-2% of the time. It was just really bad luck for Dag, but a totally standard play.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:45 AM

dmmikkel is probably opening 50-60% of his hands here and tran knows this, so tran should be reraising him with hands AK crushes, dmm doesnt want to call and have no clue where hes at on the flop, so he shoves since hes only in really bad shape against AA or KK, and a coinflip is a +EV move for him because hes going to be more than 2x as profitable with double the chips (plus the chips in the pot already)

all this makes his play so super standard for anyone whos good and playing for first

[ QUOTE ]
He's asking for insight and your acting like a pompous jackass. Don't even bother posting if you can't say anything constructive. The guy is trying to advance his game you clown.

[/ QUOTE ]

you'd think someone would at least figure out when a bunch of top players agree with the play, its probably correct
Old 07-15-2007, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
nope.... sorry.

if you lose with KK to AA or AA to JJ or something then you can say "ah - wasn't ym day - nothing i could do about it".

but getting all in with A-K with that stack compared tot he blinds is criminal imo. the guy had him dominated. what was he hoping him to have? a-j or a-q? i doubt these would re-raise pre would/should obv fold to his shove.

but even if you got called by 9-9 and lost... i still don't get how you could say "i played it well - got al my chips in on a coinflip".

as i said... if his stack was short then it is totally different. but this was a wasted chance at the big one imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are probably too dumb to understand this but I'm hungover and have nothing better to do.

I'm gonna make some assumptions that are almost certainly correct.

1. Mikkelsen is a good tournament player that will open a pretty wide range in the CO, especially with his stack.

2. Button knows this and is probably from time to time gonna reraise him with marginal holdings to pick up the pot preflop. This is a very standard move. Earlier in the thread, Clayton said Tran was indeed capable of this. You are stating in your post that you doubt AQ/AJ would reraise preflop. If you're gonna argue that point you are a lost case and you can stop reading.

So, when Tran has reraised, there is 750k in the pot which would represent a 30% increase in Mikkelsen's stack. Lets say Tran's range is something like 88+, AJo+, ATs+, KQs, T9s and 98s to account for random steal hands. Believe me, it could be way wider than that. If he only calls with JJ+, AK+, he will fold 62.5% of the time winning Mikkelsen the pot. The remaining 37.5% Mikkelsen will have 40% equity.

37.5% of the time, Mikkelsen will lose an average of 330k
62.5% of the time, he will win 750k

The stupididty in passing up an edge of more than 10 BB is obv not even debatable.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I love people who fold AK to my 3 bets <3 <3 <3

[/ QUOTE ]

But I don't think it's ever actually happened [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Why do you and Shaun get such sick table draws?

[/ QUOTE ]

come play in the uk, people fold AK to open raises :*)
Old 07-15-2007, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The stupididty in passing up an edge of more than 10 BB is obv not even debatable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but what if you have to put your TOURNAMENT LIFE ON THE LINE?

HUH?
Old 07-15-2007, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but what if you have to put your TOURNAMENT LIFE ON THE LINE?

HUH?

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn you, nobody would have noticed!
Old 07-15-2007, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
nope.... sorry.

if you lose with KK to AA or AA to JJ or something then you can say "ah - wasn't ym day - nothing i could do about it".

but getting all in with A-K with that stack compared tot he blinds is criminal imo. the guy had him dominated. what was he hoping him to have? a-j or a-q? i doubt these would re-raise pre would/should obv fold to his shove.

but even if you got called by 9-9 and lost... i still don't get how you could say "i played it well - got al my chips in on a coinflip".

as i said... if his stack was short then it is totally different. but this was a wasted chance at the big one imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

um, you seem to be missing the point: when you shove it in with AK here, you're expecting a lot of fold equity.

I mean, the way you're talking, I assume you think it's crazy to call a 3-bet all-in with 22-JJ, because "you're just a flip or dominated." Given that logic, doesn't AK have a TON of fold equity here?

/wasting my time on idiocy
Old 07-15-2007, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I love people who fold AK to my 3 bets <3 <3 <3

[/ QUOTE ]

But I don't think it's ever actually happened [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Why do you and Shaun get such sick table draws?

[/ QUOTE ]

come play in the uk, people fold AK to open raises :*)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny. In Ireland KQs is played like it is the stone colds.

But the two times I played tournaments in the UK I was shocked at how weak tight the average player was. Very disturbing (and wonderful - "I raise" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).