Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 11:47 PM

Default Re: Nutrition Questions and Dietary Fads

This is definitely a weakness of the "just eat food" argument. Lots of us eat very denatured food, and food stuffed with a lot of bad things for us, as well. Then there's smoking, booze, excessive sugar, etc. So the idea that what we're eating is enough to keep us at optimum health has some pretty unrealistic presuppositions embedded into it.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:52 PM

I think the "just eat food" argument does carry some weight, but you are right it should be a balanced diet not just a load of bad stuff. The only one exception I've heard is taking omega-3 suppliment. As our fish is full of contaminates these days, purified tablets seem to be the way forward. See: clean omega-3 fish oil guide.

But as long as you are getting enough fruit and not eating junk, surely we should all be ok.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A big reason to take C is that it helps with the energy cycle, smoothing out highs and lows. I think it tames insulin spikes or something, I forget. At any rate, I have found it hugely helpful in preventing or alleviating the late morning and mid-afternoon dips in energy I typically get. The indirect benefit of that is that these things tie into mood, as well, so I'm happier and, uh, chippier when I just take about a gram and a half when feeling blah and lifeless. So far the intake of about 125 grams a day hasn't had any ill effect.

Just kidding! on the last ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Aye, vitamin C is the miracle vitamin. Preventing colds/strengthening immune systems is arguably the least of it's effects. The best effect of vitamin C is it's enlarging of blood vessels and capillaries and overall circulatory strengthening.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What about the latest diet fad, the first FDA approved diet pill, Alli?

[/ QUOTE ]

I take this. For the person who was questioning it's efficacy, the theory behind the pill is this: it causes the body to not absorb 25% of fat calories consumed. If you eat 1500 calories a day, and 30% of them are from fat, then that is 125 calories that you're essentially shaving off of your diet. As far as I can tell, the side effects are pretty nonexistent unless you go around eating fried food and cheese. The basic rule of thumb is that if a meal is < 15 grams of fat, you will have no ill side effects.

Katy, I am probably equally as skeptical as you when it comes to all these dietary rules that are thrown around, specifically regarding the 8 glasses of water a day. I had a biology teacher in college who told us that when this specification was originally presented, it actually read something along the lines of "the human body needs 8 classes (64 oz) of water per day, most of which we get from food. " He was a little weird, but I've always wondered if this is true. I have noticed, as others have said, that drinking a lot of water makes me feel energized, but I wonder if this can be attributed to the cooling effects of a glass of ice water? I really don't know.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Katy, I am probably equally as skeptical as you when it comes to all these dietary rules that are thrown around, specifically regarding the 8 glasses of water a day. I had a biology teacher in college who told us that when this specification was originally presented, it actually read something along the lines of "the human body needs 8 classes (64 oz) of water per day, most of which we get from food. " He was a little weird, but I've always wondered if this is true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I've read the same thing, that a lot of our water comes from our diet (fruits, vegetables, juice, milkshakes, etc) so adding 8 glasses of water on top of that might be a little overkill. I read that you should just drink when you're feeling thirsty.

I'll tell you what a hypocrite I am though. After making such a big deal about this water thing (and scoffing at all my family members for the last 10 years) I did a complete reversal. A couple weeks ago after I made this thread I glanced at myself in my car mirror one morning and I was shocked. Let me tell you I looked like hell!! The very first thing that popped into my mind was man I really need to start drinking more water. Probably just dehydrated [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. (I swear that is actually what I thought [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
Old 07-06-2007, 12:51 PM

The density of the average American diet, from what I can see, makes its water content comparatively low. The food we eat tends to be highly concentrated. Huge proportions of the population also seems to drink almost anything BUT water. Vegetables and fruit are an afterthought, irregularly consumed, or consumed not at all for another great batch of us. So what water we would normally get from food, due to not eating balanced meals, we need to get elsewhere.

The fact that we often don't is what has led to so many women I know having kidney problems their doctors say they must drink more water to alleviate. The typical solution: don't drink any more water, and let the condition worsen.

We are extremely inflexible in our laziness and bad habits. In many ways, I think we've become a bizarre people.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What about the latest diet fad, the first FDA approved diet pill, Alli?

[/ QUOTE ]

I take this. For the person who was questioning it's efficacy, the theory behind the pill is this: it causes the body to not absorb 25% of fat calories consumed. If you eat 1500 calories a day, and 30% of them are from fat, then that is 125 calories that you're essentially shaving off of your diet. As far as I can tell, the side effects are pretty nonexistent unless you go around eating fried food and cheese. The basic rule of thumb is that if a meal is < 15 grams of fat, you will have no ill side effects.

[/ QUOTE ]

FFK, Are you really taking this diet pill? You seem a little thin for diet pills so I'm wondering if you are just goofing with us [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. Do you think fat is actually harmful to your health? How does one go about getting a prescription for Alli?
Old 07-06-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FFK, Are you really taking this diet pill? You seem a little thin for diet pills so I'm wondering if you are just goofing with us [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. Do you think fat is actually harmful to your health? How does one go about getting a prescription for Alli?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm trying to lose a small amount of weight - 5lbs or so - which I've found really difficult because I burn so few calories in a day to begin with (short height, sedentary lifestyle, etc). The great thing about Alli is that it doesn't require a prescription. It's the first OTC diet pill approved by the FDA. I don't think fat is awful for your health at all, rather using Alli is just a strategy for avoiding a few calories [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Plus, taking it conditions you to avoid high-fat foods. Basically, every little bit helps, you know?

How have you been feeling/looking since you changed your mind about water? All this talk about needing more hydration certainly has me filling up my water cup today.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:52 PM

FFK, for Christ's sake, you don't need to lose weight, unless you've gained at least 30 pounds since your pics.

The new receptionist in my office works out all the time and is completely ripped (from what I can tell), and she's on a diet.

What is it with American culture? It's got to stop.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:39 PM

Won't someone please think of the children??