Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 11:52 PM

Default Studying abroad in Prague

Hey Travel forum,

I have an opprotunity to study abroad in Prague next year and was wondering if anyone could give me some useful tips/advice. I'm looking for a wide range of information that I wouldn't find on a website...general stuff that you do/don't do...places you don't go...etc...etc. I know the drinking age is lower so I definately want to know where the best drinking places are for students. Also, could anyone give me a rough estimate on expenses there...I don't plan on spending a whole lot of money on useless stuff but I want to take enough so I don't have to worry about running low on funds. Thanks for any and all advice.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:15 AM

Default Re: Studying abroad in Prague

I can't really give you any specific advice (because I've only been there for a few days), but I'm sure others can. Search for the Czech thread.

All I wanted to say is that you're going to have an incredible time. It's one of the best cities in Europe (and everywhere else).
Old 11-21-2007, 05:28 AM

Default Re: Studying abroad in Prague

I studied abroad there in Spring 2005 and had one of the best experiences of my life. Its changed a fair amount since then (I was back this summer) but its still a great although slightly less cheap place.

Do you have any idea where you'd be living? There's way too much stuff to do in Prague, from all the tourist spots, to some chill expat hangouts to the real chill local bars. You should definitely check them all out while you're there. You will have no problem finding good places to drink beer, they are literally everywhere, but if you want to ask some slightly more specific questions I'm happy to answer.

As for costs, you can live really cheaply if you want to. Eating out costs a few bucks, beers are a little more than a dollar these days. But if you have a kitchen its also easy to buy groceries and cook for yourself for even less. There are of course opportunities to spend lots more money too, clubs, entertainment nicer meals etc so its really up to you. I would say you can get by on a few hundred dollars a month (not including rent) if you really want to. Prague has become a very western city and has pretty much any convenience that you would expect to find in New York, London or wherever.

Also be sure to travel a lot, Prague is a great starting point for tours all around Europe. Take advantage of this opportunity and see some other places.