Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 10:58 AM

Default Re: How far can 10 grand get me in Europe?

[ QUOTE ]
If I'm staying in hostels and living rather frugally

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
$150 will get you a basic 3 star hotel room and in most places not even that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try reading first. The reason I didn't post was because I have no clue what it costs to stay in hostels or what someone who stays in hostels spends on food / entertainment.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:34 AM

After a quick google search. It seems $20-40/night is the going rate for hostels. So I figure $150/day so 2 months seems like a good estimate.

Threads like this though are not very useful without explaining what you plan to do. Going clubbing is going to cost you a lot more than just going to see the sights. Depending on what you want to do $10k could last a weekend or it could last 2 months.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:44 PM

Some of these estimates are stupidly high given the OP's indication of hostels and frugality.

$700 plane
$300 train/bus/transport

Normal day

$30 for bed in hostel
$6 for coffee and a bagel for breakfast
$12 for a sandwich and a bag of chips for lunch
$15 for a dinner somewhere
$15 for museum admissions and a snack during day
$20 for boozing at night

that's under $100.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I'm staying in hostels and living rather frugally

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
$150 will get you a basic 3 star hotel room and in most places not even that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try reading first. The reason I didn't post was because I have no clue what it costs to stay in hostels or what someone who stays in hostels spends on food / entertainment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read it just not properly. I just assumed someone on a poker forum wouldn't wanna live like a bum. Food and entertainment costs would be about the same anyway. You've gotta eat regardless.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:32 PM

Basically in The Netherlands and countries like it, like Scandinavian countries, Brittain, Belgium, Germany, Swiss, etc, expect $10,000 to have as much value as ~$7,000 in the US would have. Especially with the current currency rates, it's probably even worse.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:45 PM

My experience with London is that I basically found myself paying about the same as I'd pay in Canada just in pounds. The rest of Europe was not as bad.

[ QUOTE ]
I read it just not properly. I just assumed someone on a poker forum wouldn't wanna live like a bum. Food and entertainment costs would be about the same anyway. You've gotta eat regardless.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also don't see the value in an experience like this but it is not my place to judge. Food and entertainment would change as well. Someone staying at hostel will also find just getting a sandwich at a deli or eating fast food is acceptable. They also will not be paying cover to get into clubs. They will walk or take public transit rather than cab etc. I can see him making it by on less then $150 a day. I would say $100 if not for the fact the US currency is very weak.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:29 PM

I'm pretty well off and I have no problem staying in a decent hostel. The facilities are usually fine and they are a great place to meet other travellers and make friends imo.

People who say stuff like 'lol hippies' at people who stay in hostels are utter tools imo. Not everyone (esp. college kids who make up the bulk of hostel users) has the disposable income that a lot of this board does.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:32 PM

~20 Euros a night for a hostel
~10 Euros a day for food if you prepare it yourself
~15 Euros a day for miscellaneous stuff (sights, transportation, etc.)

That's around $70 a day, and you can probably live more cheaply than that. It'll be even cheaper if you know your plans a month ahead of time or so, and this will also make your inter-city transportation cost less.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:22 PM

I sort of explained this in the OP but this trip isnt really to go clubbing or to dine on fine foods, its more spiritual than anything. A couple months ago, in the midst of having a nervous breakdown, I sat down and totally reevaluated what I wanted to get out of my life. I was about 9 months removed from almost making the biggest mistake of my life by marrying a girl who couldnt be faithful to a square of toilet paper let alone a man. It's much more complicated then that, obviously, but through lots of reflection, inebriation, and a little masturbation, I came to the conclusion that I knew nothing of the world besides the small California town in which i'd lived my whole life. So I came up with a plan to try and explore as much of the world as I could on my limited budget.

The plan is to really have no plan. I just want to go do it and figure it out along the way. I have no problem walking, biking, taking buses, sleeping next to the highway, eating tuna cans 3 days in a row etc.

Maybe this isnt the best forum to be asking these questions, i dunno. I'm an avid 2+2 troller and from what I can tell there are some smart people on here. I guess what I really want to know is is spending money unavoidable? I mean, can I buy a loaf of bread and some salame and live off it for a few days while im traveling to a new city? Is that even reasonable?
Old 11-20-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I sort of explained this in the OP but this trip isnt really to go clubbing or to dine on fine foods, its more spiritual than anything. A couple months ago, in the midst of having a nervous breakdown, I sat down and totally reevaluated what I wanted to get out of my life. I was about 9 months removed from almost making the biggest mistake of my life by marrying a girl who couldnt be faithful to a square of toilet paper let alone a man. It's much more complicated then that, obviously, but through lots of reflection, inebriation, and a little masturbation, I came to the conclusion that I knew nothing of the world besides the small California town in which i'd lived my whole life. So I came up with a plan to try and explore as much of the world as I could on my limited budget.

The plan is to really have no plan. I just want to go do it and figure it out along the way. I have no problem walking, biking, taking buses, sleeping next to the highway, eating tuna cans 3 days in a row etc.

Maybe this isnt the best forum to be asking these questions, i dunno. I'm an avid 2+2 troller and from what I can tell there are some smart people on here. I guess what I really want to know is is spending money unavoidable? I mean, can I buy a loaf of bread and some salame and live off it for a few days while im traveling to a new city? Is that even reasonable?

[/ QUOTE ]
You can prolly last 3-4 months off $10k. If you plan on staying in Hostels and not living extravagantly, then you can live quite well off $100-$120 (£50-£60) a day in all but the most expensive places in Western Europe. In Eastern Europe you can live fine off about $60-$80 (£30-£40) a day.

Just don't visit (or spend long in) the crazy expensive places like London, Amsterdam, etc and try to spend some of your time in Eastern Europe where the cost of living/traveling is so much less and it'll last fine.

Juk [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]