Your person is themed (Emo,Gangsta,Punk,Goth) 5 3.36%
None of the above 87 58.39%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 04:44 PM

Default Re: ***SSNL LIFE THREAD NOV***

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is the second day in a row I've overslept and woken up between 11:30am and 12:30pm. Stupid poker.

Fortunately it isn't really a big deal at work but I still feel like a degen.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you'd like to have a future at this company I'd be really careful if I was you about this sort of thing. Sure, they'll say it's fine, but you'll be known as the guy who's always showing up late and will get a bad image which can affect later prospects. In life as in poker, image is everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

at most computer companies it does not matter how late you come in, as long as you get all your work done and then some

your work is your image, not your work habits
Old 11-20-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the second day in a row I've overslept and woken up between 11:30am and 12:30pm. Stupid poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Noob. I go to bed at 8-9 am and get up around 7-8 pm.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If you'd like to have a future at this company I'd be really careful if I was you about this sort of thing. Sure, they'll say it's fine, but you'll be known as the guy who's always showing up late and will get a bad image which can affect later prospects. In life as in poker, image is everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

at most computer companies it does not matter how late you come in, as long as you get all your work done and then some

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I used to think that too. It just is almost never true (though it should be). Corporate culture is rarely a meritocracy.

Edit: I'm sure goofy's smart enough to figure out if this goes for his workplace or not. I'm just speaking from my experience.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
To an extent, Noon is a lot different that 10am. Software dev has all the foosball, ping pong, jeans, and t-shirt stuff, but if you are still working for a corporation you need to stay some what in line.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I used to think that too. It just is almost never true (though it should be). Corporate culture is rarely a meritocracy.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, if goofy gets fired, the cafeteria will mysteriously end up missing a few gallons of canned pineapples
Old 11-20-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Corporate culture is rarely a meritocracy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would never say that corporate culture is 100% a meritocracy, because it's obv not. But on the other hand I will say that there is more to merit than just the quality and quantity of code a programmer writes. Those things are obv important, but other things are important too. If all you want to do is write code &amp; be left alone, fine. More power to you, and I really can't blame you. Write a lot of good code and you will probably be fine. If you want to move up or be given more responsibility, other qualities become more important than they are for a programmer.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:23 PM

Anyway you look at it. Working for the man licks Tant.

I have a job where I am over paid, work in jeans, have a game room, free pop and snacks, etc. However, over time that stuff all boils away, leaving you working in front of a computer for the man.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OMFG i just let my cheese thread enter my life thread

i sent my SLF some stupid poker stat image shot

*sigh* probably a dumb move

we'll see, she already knows i play poker, and seems to be ok with it, but i always hate talking about it with people who don't play, but we've shared everything about each other so far, so wtf am i supposed to do?

[/ QUOTE ]

part of her response:

[ QUOTE ]
So, from playing poker online, you make in 3 hours’ time what I make in a full workday. Wow. [SNIP] Maybe you should just teach me poker. Umm … no, not really

[/ QUOTE ]

and

[ QUOTE ]
Use it wisely, and look upon it as a provisional bridge or springboard of transition into something even better and more fulfilling.

[/ QUOTE ]

which is my plan, so it's all good
Old 11-20-2007, 05:55 PM

keik your GF sounds chill.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
keik your GF sounds chill.

[/ QUOTE ]

she is [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Closed Thread