Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 10-11-2007, 02:02 PM

Default The demise of this forum

We are constantly getting new posts regarding "how do I win at O8" "what are good resources?" or "how do i win in a high/low tournament"

This is ruining the forum, maybe we should have 1 big thread called "newbie questions", and all of these new threads should get moved under there instead of taking away from any actual new content. For whatever reason, we are receiving an influx of newbies now, who don't like to do their own homework... this is ruining the forum.

I do like the policy of "OOT" of giving "*"'s out, and quickly exiling people for poor posts or not following policy.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:28 PM

Default Re: The demise of this forum

Took me a minute to figure out that 'OOT' is 'Other Other topics'. I checked out the amusing/harsh FAQ, and they certainly brook very little there.

And yes, there has been a recent deadly combination of very few high-content threads with a recent influx of 'What are the best books?' and 'Can I spend 5 minutes and learn how to kick ass at O8?' and lots of folks who generally can't be bothered to read the FAQ or to use a hand converter.

I nominate DaveBreal for additional moderator/bouncer. Buzz is doing fine, but he's generally pretty tolerant. Dave could be the bad cop to Buzz's good cop.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:32 PM

f dave........f noobs..........f guns
Old 10-11-2007, 03:20 PM

I agree. Every week there is another "which books should I read" or "how do I read a low" thread.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:57 PM

I disagree. you need new blood and people coming in or the forum dies long term. and newbies always ask basic questions, thats what makes them newbies. then they learn and becme breal-worthy.

Just put a reply saying "see the FAQ" and lock the thread
Old 10-11-2007, 04:06 PM

I think there should be a sticky topic related with old threads in which the haunting questions have already been answered.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree. you need new blood and people coming in or the forum dies long term. and newbies always ask basic questions, thats what makes them newbies. then they learn and becme breal-worthy.

Just put a reply saying "see the FAQ" and lock the thread

[/ QUOTE ]

who needs newbies? we have you!
Old 10-11-2007, 04:24 PM

These are valid complaints.

I'll start moving the posts regarding books to the Books and Publications forum.

I'm not sure what to do about various other posts.

I want to encourage new posters. We all started out as new posters. But this is, after all, a forum primarily for discussion of tactics and strategy.

If you have a suggestion, you can P.M. me or just hit the "contact us" button at the bottom of the page. I'll automatically get sent an e-mail, notifying me to look at the post. You can either write what's wrong or not. If it's obvious, I'll handle it. If it's not obvious, I'll P.M. you and ask what's wrong.

Buzz
Old 10-11-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think there should be a sticky topic related with old threads in which the haunting questions have already been answered.

[/ QUOTE ]

not a bad idea, i think we could sticky a few more threads, or just simply make a 2nd sticky under the FAQ that is a "best of thread" where we link directly to the most information LO8 and PLO8 threads including book reviews, game essentials, MTT/SNG basics, starting hand charts, etc.

Buzz - what do you think?

*edit - or we can simply append this under the current FAQ
Old 10-11-2007, 04:27 PM

Hi Frank - You suggested Dave as co-moderator.

Hopefully Felicia will recover soon and will come back as moderator.

However, I'd be happy to have someone else come aboard and be moderator of the Omaha forums. Dave is an excellent choice, as are some of the rest of you. I don't want to name names because I don't want to inadvertently omit anyone.

It must be clear to all that I'm loath to ban anyone. I will if pressed, but it's not a thing I want to do.

Buzz