Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 03:01 PM

Default $100 NL: Checking the turn for pot control

Here are two hands where I checked the turn for pot control. Lemme know whacha think.

$100 NL, full stacks

Hand 1.

2 limpers, Hero raises to $4 with TT. Both limpers call.

Flop: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Limper #1 checks, Villain bets $6, Hero raises to $20, limper #1 folds, Villain calls.

Turn: K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Villain checks, Hero checks.

Hand 2

Loose villain opens from MP2 to $4. Hero calls from MP3 with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Everyone else folds.

Flop: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Villain bets $4, Hero raises to $16, villain calls.

Turn: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Villain checks, Hero checks.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:33 PM

Default Re: $100 NL: Checking the turn for pot control

I'd probably bet 3/4 pot on second hand for sure. Hand 1 looks like hes got either a straight or flush draw or both. I would probably have to fire to at least make him pay to draw.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:42 PM

hand one villian is definately on the draw, fire away.

hand two i check. Villian might be slow playing an op here, call a reasonable bet on the riv.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:05 PM

I don't understand why you're raising hand 2 if you're planning on checking on a blank turn.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:29 PM

Hand 1: Just call his donk bet. If he's drawing, then he's giving himself incorrect odds to do so already. After that, if he checks the turn, you can bet 1/2 pot if its a blank or check behind if its likely to have completed a draw. Plan to check behind on the river if checked to you, and fold to a big river bet.

I'd try to play for a final pot of less than $40 if you can. I don't think he'll be playing bigger pots without a hand that beats yours often enough to justify bloating the pot with a flop raise.

Hand 2: Checking the turn looks good to me. Call a bet from villain on the river up to pot-size even if it's a club. If he checks a blank river, checking behind might be ok if you thought he was a tricky player who would be looking for a c/r on the turn and would try for it again on the river. If he's more of an ABC player who'd lead the river with sets but c/c with TPWK or underpairs just to keep you "honest," then value bet ~1/4 pot to get weaker 1-pair hands to call.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why you're raising hand 2 if you're planning on checking on a blank turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

totally. and if he's loose pf why not RR. like you are calling with that hand because you think you have a better than average hand against his range. so you should RR pf and take control.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:41 AM

Hand 1: I would bet 2/3 of the pot on the turn. He has to be on a draw and the King most likely didn't help him at all, so fire away.

Hand 2: I would reraise preflop if he's really a loose villain, but as played I don't mind the turn check.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah one of the 2decisions seems horrible

if you are scared of building a pot, why the [censored] are you raising the dryest flop possible

if you aren't scared of building a big pot why are you checking

just seems like a huge flaw in your thought process to combine these plays
Old 08-13-2007, 06:19 PM

Yeah, you might be right. I raised the flop because I thought I was ahead, but after he called I wasn't so sure.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, you might be right. I raised the flop because I thought I was ahead, but after he called I wasn't so sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right you might not be - raising on this dry board just folds out hands that you beat. It allows villain to play well and not make mistakes. The fact that he called the raise means he probably at least has QJ or KJ and at worst sets, overpairs.