Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help

Old 11-27-2007, 09:52 PM

Default Build/buy a computer for television: DVR, DVD, high-def, etc.

I'm hoping to buy or build a computer that can replace all the other stuff connected to my television. I'm not great with computers but I can do okay. The final goal is to have the computer be a computer and entertainment system in one remote-controllable box. Some things I want:

1. I want to be able to watch media on my HD television from the following sources: broadcast television (not cable/sat), DVD, Netflix "Watch it Now", full episodes from networks' websites, and iTunes. Maybe I'm forgetting some sources.

2. DVR software that can play non-live TV smoothly.

3. HDMI output is obviously preferred.

4. Dolby sound.

5. Ability to also use this as a home computer, hopefully even while viewing/recording stuff on TV by using an alternate monitor.

6. Remote control, wireless keyboard and mouse.

7. I'd like it to be all contained within the one computer box, instead of six connected devices.

I've seen similar things for sale, but they always seem to be lacking in one area or ridiculously overpriced. I've even seen one with a slot for your cable/satellite card so you don't need your set-top receiver from them. I can't believe there aren't more of these out there and that everyone doesn't want this.

What's the best way to make this happen? If you've seen something like this for sale or have ideas for how I can build this for less than about $2500, I'll be glad to hear it.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:03 AM

Default Re: Build/buy a computer for television: DVR, DVD, high-def, etc.

If you are ethically flexible, pledge to buy the DVDs when the show comes out (if you want) and then download the pirated DRM-free XVID versions of the shows after they air and play them on a networked dvd/xvid player (Snazzio makes a high def one for ~$300). This is a much more reasonable alternative to building a whole freaking rig to deal with all the ridiculous DRM formats that corporations are throwing at you.

And if you want a DVR, why not rent one from your cable company for $10/mo?

If you are really intent on this though, there are whole forums devoted to "home theatre PCs" that will no doubt yield much more helpful responses than 2p2. One place to start looking might be avsforum.com.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:18 AM

building your own setup has downfalls like no warranty, so unless you are really computer litterate i would go with something you can get a warranty on and get someone to help you out.. I heard Windows Media Center was decent for these types of setups but i have not had first hand experience with it and have only heard that..
Old 11-28-2007, 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
building your own setup has downfalls like no warranty

[/ QUOTE ]

Er, you'd have warranties on each of the parts, so if one of those goes busto you just send that bit back, which is a lot more sensible than sending back the whole thing
Old 11-28-2007, 09:42 PM

there are a few threads on media center (centre?) PCs in recent months, so it may be worthwhile to browse through that.

depending on the resolution, even relatively low end stuff should be able to do what you want - eg, i watch standard-def video on a P4 machine with a GeForce Ti 4200 (!) graphics card and get great results.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:30 PM

I just built one (without PVR functions). It's pretty sweet.

Also, x264 pwns xvid.