Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 11-17-2007, 05:58 PM

Default Inducing bluffs

How big a part does it play in your games, and how much do you think it contributes to your winrate?
Old 11-17-2007, 10:46 PM

Default Re: Inducing bluffs

selfish bump
Old 11-17-2007, 10:51 PM

It's not a big part of my game at all. I'm pretty happy w/ that.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How big a part does it play in your games, and how much do you think it contributes to your winrate?

[/ QUOTE ]

i would have to say 23 and 41. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

but seriously, you should be more specific.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:51 AM

well here is an example...

Hero is UTG with 99 and raises. Folded to CO who cold calls.
Flop comes 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

You bet, CO calls.

Turn comes an A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

You know if you bet your opponent will fold his gutshot, or his 2 outter but if you check the turn and river, perhaps he throws in a bet when you have a huge edge.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:14 AM

oh ok, in this example check/raising is certainly reasonable against certain opponents. the c/c c/r line is probably very rarely correct.

i'd guesstimate that i b/3b this turn 90% of the time and c/r 10% (meaning not randomly, but depending on the opponent).

EDIT: maybe occasionally b/c c/r.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:34 AM

But my point here is that, in this example, you win exactly 0 more bets by betting the turn because villian folds. My aggression is SO high on the turn and river (2.47/2.41) and it got me to thinking that I don't win enough bets by checking superior hands and often it gets me into spots where I bet get raised and puts me in a rough spot. Usually, they see me bet and fold.

So I wonder how much I can increase my winrate by selectively checking very strong hands to win bets by inducing "value bets" or bluffs.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:40 AM

but the thing is: (a) you don't know that he actually has a gutshot (b) you don't know that he will fold it if you bet and not check behind if you check.

as a general rule of thumb, i reserve the turn value c/r line for hands that are not strong enough to b/3b, something like top pair.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:01 AM

Inducing bluffs is a significant part of my game because I play a rather LAG style for a winning SH LHE player. I don't how much it specifically contributes to my win rate though.

Many times, I check behind with hands like middle pair on the turn after being the aggressor earlier in the hand with the intent to induce a river bluff. Because of that, I am able to call the river with that hand since the preceding action will increase their river bluffing frequency enough to make it a profitable call. Of course, there are other factors that determine whether I do this (opponent's style, tendencies, previous action, board texture etc). You would be amazed at how often I call with a hand like middle or bottom pair only to see my opponents turn up ace high, king high and busted draws at showdown.

For some players, it is hard to induce bluffs from their opponents because of their playing style. A TAG player might not be able to check to induce bluffs because opponents might fear the TAG check-raising them. If you're a calling station, then your opponents won't bluff because you won't fold.

Of course, I could be completely wrong. This is just my experience in past sessions.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:42 PM

To add to Bob's answer against LAG players if they will bet your hand for you OOP let them, then raise the river, they always call and you get their money.
I play pretty LAG post flop although I'm trying to tighten for the transition into 10/20.