Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2006, 07:47 PM

Location: /goggles fill up with tears / oh crap hold on can\'t see anything
Default Re: Give me suggestions to write an article.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Something about how the Cleveland Indians have been so unfortunate/unlucky/unJeterlike this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

in general an article about winning close games, especially wtih effect of bullpen/closers. i guess cleveland could be featured prominently.

[/ QUOTE ]

cleveland is not going to prove anything. they were horrible in close games last year with the best bullpen in the league, and are horrible this year with probably the worst bullpen.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:20 PM

A ranking of baseball owners from best to worst ... just so I can find out where you'd put Peter Angelos (who I can't stand).

Then do this for football (Can't stand Dan Snyder, either. Us D.C./Bahlmer area sports fans have it rough).
Old 08-16-2006, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Something about how the Cleveland Indians have been so unfortunate/unlucky/unJeterlike this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Their third-order wins [censored] sickens me.

EDIT: -12.3 third-order wins while every other meaningful team in the AL Central (i.e. not the Royals) are all above 2.5. So sick.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

in general an article about winning close games, especially wtih effect of bullpen/closers. i guess cleveland could be featured prominently.

[/ QUOTE ]

cleveland is not going to prove anything. they were horrible in close games last year with the best bullpen in the league, and are horrible this year with probably the worst bullpen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true. At first glance, it would seem that the quality of the bullpen makes the difference - as anecdotal evidence, the A's have a high third-order wins quotient and the Indians are the worst in the league, and many times we have seen the Blue Jays (with their terrible bullpen) constantly feature "unlucky" numbers in the third-order wins column. However, even with a good bullpen (and high DefEff) the Indians were "unlucky," so it would seem that there is either something else responsible for it or that variance/luck plays the defining role in the teams at hand.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:07 PM

How many wins a Falcons team would win with everything the same if Mike Vick was the QB vs. if Matt Schaub was.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:49 AM

Maybe take a look at the career of a GM and anylize all of his trades, signings, and draft picks, as well as how players developed within the system during his tenure. Sabean could be a good one. Pat Gillick another. Definitely needs to be somebody from the 90's so we can see how the youngsters he drafted, traded for, or gave up panned out.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:24 AM

How about an article on whether it's best for college football programs to hire head coaches who are from the NFL (former head coaches or assistants) vs. from other colleges.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:48 AM

An article discussing the value of batting coaches, hitting coaches and managers.

I seem to recall, sometime in the 70s, one manager claiming that most strategic decisions were so obvious - or so neutral - that a good manager could probably only be credited with affecting 5 games a season. (Of course, he was not considering clubhouse issues, which certainly matter too.)
Old 08-17-2006, 03:13 PM

A Look at the Dodgers
Old 08-17-2006, 03:15 PM

I'd like to see articles on mangeres/coaches and the average amount of years they have been in the league before they start to have signifigant success.