Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 02:28 PM

Default Help me play my JJ

Could someone evaluate my play with an overpair here on all streets please and if I'm making mistakes tell me what I should be doing and why - or what factors I should be taking into consideration. I think playing overpairs is one of the weakest parts of my game.

6 players - Effective 50 - Hero is Lag - Villian seems like a Tag - Hero is button with J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Folded to Hero, Hero raises 2, SB raises 7, BB folds, Hero calls.

Flop (14)

7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB bets 9, Hero calls

Turn (32)

7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB checks, Hero bets 17 (this is a strange bet - I wanted to induce a possible bluff-shove from overcards (unlikely) while at the same time protecting my hand - if I just shoved I would lose out on this small possibility - I didn't give too much consideration to the two hearts on board in a reraised pot), SB calls.

River (64)

3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB pushes for about 20, Hero calls - Not happy at all about him pushing the river but I can't fold right? Should I be shoving the flop, shoving the turn, folding the river etc.? Thanks for comments.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Help me play my JJ

if youre going to bet the turn, bet something meaningful please...youre not inducing a bluff you have to be honest with yourself...youre just scared to bet more. either check or bet >= 25 imo
Old 10-30-2007, 02:38 PM

How could I be scared to bet more if I'm not folding to a shove? If you're going to say bet more or check please give a good reason.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:45 PM

This is a tough spot, if you don't fold the flop you have to play for your whole stack here because 1 PSB make you pot stuck. So I would probably just get it in on the flop if you beleive you are ahead.

I am a 10nl player so probably don't know what I am talking about.

What is the players pahud stats? How often has he 3bet? Is he laggy?

I would probably check behind on the turn and see what he does on the river.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:50 PM

I was considering shoving the flop but I didn't like it because it's a WAWB situation - even if Villian doesn't give me much credit it's unlikely he'll call the overbet shove with anything I beat - maybe TT. And he'll instacall with QQ+ . Sorry I don't have the hud stats Larry - I don't use it. Yes, I know I should.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:55 PM

The flop is not a WA/WB situation. There are plenty of draws out there, this is not a board like 22T. I dont mind the flop play at all, but Im betting strong once villain checks turn to me. You could just shove turn here seeing as you have I think 34 left and a pot of 32 in the middle. I really cant see betting half my remaining stack on the turn, putting in effectively 3/4 of my stack total, planning on folding. As played, the river is a fold. Villains dont take this line usually with one pair hands.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:58 PM

Check the turn for pot control. IMO draws are generally a non-issue in a 3bet pot unless they are broadway type draws because more of a 3betting range will be pairs rather than suited cards.

As you said, it's a WA/WB situation so there's no reason to put money in on this turn when we're in position and have the option to check. I'll call a reasonable bet on a non-ace river.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:00 PM

That's true that the flop isn't a wawb Profish - I was just about to edit that. But I still don't like the shove. I wasn't planning on folding the turn - I've already said that twice. I think you might be right about the river fold.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are plenty of draws out there, this is not a board like 22T.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but what hands that are 3betting from the blinds have connected w/ these draws?
Old 10-30-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check the turn for pot control. I'll call a reasonable bet on a non-ace river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually never consider checking behind on the turn in these situations - but it seems like it might be the best play.