Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 04:23 AM

Default Iran\'s National Dress Code

Article off of yahoo.
Iran to launch new dress code crackdown...
Heres an excerpt from the article.

"Women in Iran are obliged to cover all bodily contours and their heads but in recent years many have pushed the boundaries by showing off bare ankles and fashionably styled hair beneath their headscarves.

Some women still don figure-hugging coats and skimpy headscarves despite the April crackdown. By renewing the drive, it appears the police want to send a message that they are serious about enforcing the dress rules."

I never imagined I would ever hear the description of "skimpy headscarves". Maybe someone more informed can tell me, is this a doctrine of sharia law? A national dress code is just mind boggling to me.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:31 AM

Default Re: Iran\'s National Dress Code

Yes, it's Sharia law. The idea is that women are enticements to sin, and showing flesh (or anything geared toward sexual attraction) invites the man into lustful sin which degrades his spiritual nature. In spite of the hyper liberal press reports, quite a few Muslim women agree with it, and enjoy being free from the sickening sexual competition that exists in the West, where women are objectified as sex objects in both their fashion and representations in the media.

It's not that different to Christian beliefs a hundred years ago where ankles and arms had to be covered. Derives from the same bible.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:49 AM

Indeed! As far as I know, it is still Vatican protocol for women to wear a mantilla during private papal audiences.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:27 AM

Default More Misogyny in the Middle East

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, it's Sharia law. The idea is that women are enticements to sin, and showing flesh (or anything geared toward sexual attraction) invites the man into lustful sin which degrades his spiritual nature. In spite of the hyper liberal press reports, quite a few Muslim women agree with it, and enjoy being free from the sickening sexual competition that exists in the West, where women are objectified as sex objects in both their fashion and representations in the media.

It's not that different to Christian beliefs a hundred years ago where ankles and arms had to be covered. Derives from the same bible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Such dress codes are primarily means by which men force women into subservient roles. This is especially pronounced in Islamic and Middle Eastern culture, where women in many respects are treated like property or chattel, and are deeply confined to the role of subservience to men.

The burka is dreadfully uncomfortable to wear, whether in Afhhanistan or in Iran:

"Afghan women fight oppression

By Debbie Howlett, USA TODAY

KHUJA BAHAOUDDIN, Afghanistan — Beneath the tent-like covering of a burqa, a thick mesh panel limiting her vision and air, the world all but vanished for Faranooz Nazir. "I couldn't hear. I couldn't see. I couldn't walk," Nazir says. "It was as if the world no longer existed to me and I no longer existed to the world." Nazir, 38, who lives in the rural north where anti-Taliban forces hold sway, now refuses to wear the "full veil" required by the fundamental Islamic regime that has controlled much of Afghanistan since 1996.

The all-encompassing burqa has become a nearly universal symbol of the oppression of women by the hard-line Taliban militia. The Revolutionary Association of Women of Afghanistan (RAWA), based in Pakistan, calls it "killing us with cotton."

USA Today

And what's going on this summer in IRAN:

"Almost All the Leaders of Iran's Women's Movement Arrested...Iran's authorities have arrested more than 32 women activists protesting outside a courthouse in Tehran...

...South Africa appropriately became a pariah nation because of institutional racism. Yet now, the world refuses to apply the same moral outrage to a nation that is dangerous not only to its own people but to the world as a whole. With Iran we're dealing with misogyny instead of racism. Jew-hatred instead of black-hatred. Islamist Supremacy instead of White Supremacy...

...So, Smeal demands a "negotiated" solution to mass murder, misogyny and general oppression. And what exactly should be negotiated? How long women have to stay in their house? That perhaps women's court testimony would count for 55 percent of a man's, not just 50 percent? Maybe women who fight off their rapists won't be executed, just imprisoned for life? Really, Ellie, what part of women's lives should be negotiated with violent and controlling Islamist misogynists?
"

Tammy Bruce
Old 07-23-2007, 07:04 AM

Default Re: More Misogyny in the Middle East

[ QUOTE ]
The burka is dreadfully uncomfortable to wear, whether in Afhhanistan or in Iran:

[/ QUOTE ]

So is the mantilla. I tried it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-23-2007, 08:31 AM

Default Re: More Misogyny in the Middle East

"A national dress code is just mind boggling to me. "

Really? We have one, it's just non specific.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A national dress code is just mind boggling to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about a national anthem?
Old 07-23-2007, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...and enjoy being free from the sickening sexual competition that exists in the West, where women are objectified as sex objects in both their fashion and representations in the media.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bikini Clad Landscape Employees

It's sick I tell ya how these woman are being exploited and I know they hate it.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Indeed! As far as I know, it is still Vatican protocol for women to wear a mantilla during private papal audiences.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Cite?

2) So what? Nobody is forced to visit the pope. It's still my protocol for women to wear a bikini during private audiences. ZOMG the 7-11 down the street won't let me in if I don't have a shirt and shoes on!!!
Old 07-23-2007, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A national dress code is just mind boggling to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about a national anthem?

[/ QUOTE ]

That would depend on whether or not people were forced to sing it.