Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2007, 11:14 PM

Default Re: Help me choose a new beer

If you can get your hands on it down there, Rogue Hazelnut Brown is a great brew, perfect for where you're at right now.

I'd also recommend trying just about any India Pale Ale just to see if you like that style. Other than boring pale lagers it's probably the most popular style in the US and you can really branch out if you develop a taste for it.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:16 AM

Harp
Creemore
La Fin Du Monde
Hoegarden
Stiegl
Old 06-02-2007, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Smithwicks Ale. I love Newcastle as well, and this is my second favorite beer.

[/ QUOTE ]

and OP, you can get bonus points here for being the guy who orders it right, it's pronounced SMITH-icks (I think SMIDD-icks if you're Irish).

Newcastle is a great session beer and it's still in my rotation. But my favorites now are porters. If you're curious, Sierra Nevada Porter or Anchor Porter should be in your grocery store and either is a decent introduction. If you're ever in SF at Toronado, try the Black Prince Porter.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:06 PM

Stop recommending IPAs. It's the trendy beer of the the last 18 months where each maker competes to make his as bitter as [censored] possible. I believe that the only reason an IPA was made so nasty was to preserve it for the long-ass trip to India.

Have a Fat Tire... it becomes cloying after a while, but it's nice, tasty, and refreshing ice cold.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:16 PM

I read the title of the thread and was going to recommend Newcastle. My #2 is Alexander Keith's, but I think it has not crossed the border yet. I get some at duty free when I drive back from Canada.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stop recommending IPAs. It's the trendy beer of the the last 18 months where each maker competes to make his as bitter as [censored] possible. I believe that the only reason an IPA was made so nasty was to preserve it for the long-ass trip to India.

Have a Fat Tire... it becomes cloying after a while, but it's nice, tasty, and refreshing ice cold.

[/ QUOTE ]I agree that the OP would probably not care for an IPA based on what he currently drinks.

That being said, I love a good IPA. The best beer I ever drank was an IPA from a local brewpub here in KC, but the quality went downhill when they switched brewmasters. I was drinking this about 7 years ago, so I wouldn't call it trendy.

I know a lot of people like Fat Tire, but this beer is the epitome of "meh" to me. I think people just order it because they like to say the name.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:53 PM

Magic Hat...based out of Burlington but randomly shows up elsewhere. Not rated incredibly well but I like man of their different varieties.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

REPRESENT

[/ QUOTE ]

fo sho'