Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2007, 03:14 AM

Default Re: Ultimate Frisbee

Ahh beau kittredge...he's really just a big dumb animal (nice kid actually, he's from fairbanks and I'm from Anchorage, so we've played together a fair amount)

I've played for ever, started in College (Carleton), played club for a few years (Sub Zero) and now play mostly coed (probably playing the Carleton Co-ed monstrosity in the series this year. Booyeah...)

9 nationals
1 Worlds
2 rapidly deteriorating knees
Old 08-25-2007, 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
tons of kids played it at my college. i think its pretty boring compared to othe sports.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might be retarded. It's kind of like football where everyone is a QB and a WR and play never stops. You have the same kind of patterns and timing throws, and the skill of throwing of a good ultimate player is unbelievable, curving all kinds of ways to get around defenders, it's sick.

IMHO Ultimate is really awesome because the "honor system" works so well in it. When you play with people who try to play "hard defense" and play cheap it really sucks. I mean if it was professional and people played like they do in the NBA or whatever it would be retarded with constant fouls. I never played serious like you guys, but lots of pickup games, and some of the Seattle and Palo Alto inter-company geek wars.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok the main problem i had with it was there are really no 1v1 confrontations.

bball, you can dribble a dude and shoot a contested layup.

soccer, yourre constantly making moves to avoid defenders.

flag football you can juke dudes with the ball and on routes.

ultimate simply doestn compare to any of these sports.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You might be retarded. It's kind of like football where everyone is a QB and a WR and play never stops. You have the same kind of patterns and timing throws, and the skill of throwing of a good ultimate player is unbelievable, curving all kinds of ways to get around defenders, it's sick.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sorta see Victor's point, but I still love it. Yes, when competition gets really good, the throwing skills are what's really freaking impressive. But from a game flow perspective, it's basically like soccer with no 1v1.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:26 AM

lol
Old 08-25-2007, 04:30 AM

Is it just me, or are ultimate players really clique-y?
Old 08-25-2007, 04:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it just me, or are ultimate players really clique-y?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I sorta see Victor's point, but I still love it. Yes, when competition gets really good, the throwing skills are what's really freaking impressive. But from a game flow perspective, it's basically like soccer with no 1v1.

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree with the "no one on one" getting open, is all about beating your guy, one on one, getting a good throw off is the same, as is stopping your guy from doing either...
Old 08-25-2007, 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Guy jumps over another guy in ultimate frisbee

I just figured that this was a neat link I'd seen that is related to this topic.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was really cool. If it was basketball or football, this would've gotten played on ESPN night and day for weeks.

I've played Ultimate once in my life, and that was before many of you were born. Would it be stupid to try to pick it up now?

Also, I am old.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ahh beau kittredge...he's really just a big dumb animal (nice kid actually, he's from fairbanks and I'm from Anchorage, so we've played together a fair amount)

I've played for ever, started in College (Carleton), played club for a few years (Sub Zero) and now play mostly coed (probably playing the Carleton Co-ed monstrosity in the series this year. Booyeah...)

9 nationals
1 Worlds
2 rapidly deteriorating knees

[/ QUOTE ]

Beau is pretty impressive. I play in Seattle on a co-ed team but don't really have any desire to play seriously (club), though we'll probably be playing at club sectionals this year (we'll get destroyed though). [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Rob
Old 08-25-2007, 04:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
tons of kids played it at my college. i think its pretty boring compared to othe sports.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMHO Ultimate is really awesome because the "honor system" works so well in it. When you play with people who try to play "hard defense" and play cheap it really sucks. I mean if it was professional and people played like they do in the NBA or whatever it would be retarded with constant fouls. I never played serious like you guys, but lots of pickup games, and some of the Seattle and Palo Alto inter-company geek wars.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok the main problem i had with it was there are really no 1v1 confrontations.

bball, you can dribble a dude and shoot a contested layup.

soccer, yourre constantly making moves to avoid defenders.

flag football you can juke dudes with the ball and on routes.

ultimate simply doestn compare to any of these sports.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not really the world's biggest defender of ultimate as a general sport (I love it, but it's not for everyone), but wtf -- no 1 on 1 confrontations? I've played all of the sports you've listed above and I find way more 1 on 1 confrontations (skying people, sick layout D's, just general jukes and beating people to the disc) in ultimate than I have anywhere else.

Rob