Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 05:38 AM

Default Re: drivers for a newbie

OP - I'm in the same boat as you. Driver recommended by a local pro is the Tour Edge Geomax. $200, extremely forgiving. I've used it for the last 3.5 months and couldn't be happier.

Tour Edge

Oh, and it was on one of Golf Digest's hot lists, for those who care about those things.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:51 PM

I don't know anything about clubs, I just go out there and hit'em. I'm about a 20 handicap. Couple club 101 questions:

1) So the basic rule is more loft = easier to keep straight?
2) I'm a long hitter, 7 iron is about 170, is there somethign specific I should be looking for in a driver? Someone above mentioned M and F, but I assume that is brand specific?
3) Is a lot of distance lost with a higher loft driver?

Thanks, I'm clueless about this stuff, and if I want to get better I should really learn. My driving has been so erratic this year, I'm hitting 3 iron of a LOT of tees.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:09 PM

2) if you're hitting your 7i 170, you probably need a stiff flex shaft on your 1W.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm in the same boat as you are right now. I never bought a driver because every time I demoed one I couldn't hit it well. After a few lessons and practice I'm ready to buy one. I think the Callaway X460cc would be a pretty good fit for you. From the reviews I've read it is pretty forgiving. It is pretty cheap too at $199 from golfsmith.com.

Golfsmith

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, this is the [censored] club. I have a hard time hitting drivers, but this driver is awesome. It is very forgiving. A+ highly recommended. If only I could fix my slice now

[/ QUOTE ]

I got this club late last season thanks to a pileup of Party points. Unfortunately I've only been out twice with it but so far it seems pretty forgiving for a driver of its size and I would definetely reccommend it.

One thing to note is that it is a rather noisy driver as it makes a loud metallic sound on contact. I don't mind this when I bomb one down the fairway but when I slice it OB, I don't like the attention as much, lol...
Old 05-10-2007, 01:53 PM

Yeah I would use a 3 wood until you can hit that straight.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:17 PM

If you sswing hard enough to hit your 7i 170 you will want totry a stiff shaft driver. A regular shaft will be hard to control. Your best bet is get a pro to help you out if you are going to spend $400 on new top end driver.

I went a saw a pro and he set me up with a stiff driver. It really comes down to your swing speed. Over 100 MPH will usually require a stiff shaft. There are varying degree's of stiffness so see a pro if you are gonna shell out big dolla.

You will lose distance with a higher loft driver and yes it will be easier to keep straight.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:14 AM

If you are a beginner but have the basics down then your best bet is to go with any Cobra mnodel as they are the most forgiving brand of clubs out there now and they are reasonably priced
Old 05-15-2007, 01:00 PM

I have a Taylormade 580xd, Stiff Fujikura shaft that I don't use anymore. It's 9.5 degrees.

I'll hook it up with a great price if you're interested.

(mods i don't know the policy on offering this so please delete if need be)
Old 05-21-2007, 12:12 AM

when it came out, I thought the original Nike Sasquatch was the easiest to hit driver I had ever used, and it still went a mile.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:58 AM

So I ended up getting a Callaway X460 10* used from eBay. It just came yesterday, and I haven't had a chance to go hit it yet. I am very excited to do so, however.

Also, thanks for the offer of the sale - kinda disappointed I didn't see that before I bought this driver, but oh well.