Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2007, 08:55 PM

Default drivers for a newbie

I currently have a set of clubs that I was given by my uncle. The set is very nice, except for the fact that I was given a 7.5 degree loft driver (WTF I know). Of course, I can't hit the driver at all. I've been using it for the past couple of years and just dealing with it because I don't golf that much and wasn't that good at any part of golf anyway. Now I've gotten kinda decent at golf, so I want to get a new driver probably 10 or 10.5 degree loft.

I'm looking for suggestions of a good driver I could get that isn't the current year model, so that I can get a good deal on it. I'm not really sure how much I am willing to spend, because I haven't researched how much a solid driver would cost. I don't need top of the line/highest priced. What should I look at?

Thanks.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:39 PM

Default Re: drivers for a newbie

What's your price range? I have no idea if $350 is ok or if you don't want to spend more then $200.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:08 PM

I'm in the same boat as you are right now. I never bought a driver because every time I demoed one I couldn't hit it well. After a few lessons and practice I'm ready to buy one. I think the Callaway X460cc would be a pretty good fit for you. From the reviews I've read it is pretty forgiving. It is pretty cheap too at $199 from golfsmith.com.

Golfsmith
Old 05-05-2007, 10:18 PM

One idea: A Taylor Made R580 XD, available for about $150 from Dick's Sporting Goods. Model is a couple years old, but it's a pretty solid club.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:56 AM

lots to choose from at TGW and some really cheap prices
Old 05-06-2007, 09:32 AM

Consider the 2006 Cobra in either the F or M speed depending on your clubhead speed. Basic guideline would be if you hit your 7 iron 150+ get the F, under 150 get the M. You should be able to find some that didn't sell last year in your local pro shops. They wholesaled for about $210 and any pro I know would love to get that out of it. They are a very good golf club.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:33 AM

Look on craigslist if you don't want to spend a lot of money. I'd get a used club for cheap until you feel that you are ready to spend 300 on one of the current drivers...
Old 05-06-2007, 11:42 AM

I guess the question is are you any good? You probably aren't, since you seem to have just started and this is by no means an insult, we all start somewhere.

I would recommend a driver from about a year or two ago, they are still excellent and you can get them for under 200$ new. I would also recommend going to a store and getting fitted on the monitor, most big stores have the monitors. I would also suggest more loft than you think, there are alot of 13* drivers out there that are sick easy to hit straight and definately worth some swings into the monitor.

Clubs I would look at are the orignial Nike SQ, last years cobras or Callaways and the TM 580 XD. Just be sure to get lots of loft and a shaft that isn't too stiff.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess the question is are you any good? You probably aren't, since you seem to have just started and this is by no means an insult, we all start somewhere.

I would recommend a driver from about a year or two ago, they are still excellent and you can get them for under 200$ new.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is exactly what I am looking for. I am not good.

Thanks for the suggestions. I suppose my price range is max $200 then.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in the same boat as you are right now. I never bought a driver because every time I demoed one I couldn't hit it well. After a few lessons and practice I'm ready to buy one. I think the Callaway X460cc would be a pretty good fit for you. From the reviews I've read it is pretty forgiving. It is pretty cheap too at $199 from golfsmith.com.

Golfsmith

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is the [censored] club. I have a hard time hitting drivers, but this driver is awesome. It is very forgiving. A+ highly recommended. If only I could fix my slice now [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]