Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-26-2006, 11:29 PM

Default Couple Q\'s re Finishing a Cheap Poker Table

My neighbor threw out a pefectly good 4'-round wood table top, apparently b/c the legs broke. I retrieved it thinking I could easily add some legs and cloth and, voila, have a cheap poker table in place of the formal dining room table. So, two questions for those of you who have built a table or otherwise know about these things.

First, how high should the table be? It will not have a raised, padded rail. I intend to simply run the cloth over the edge and tack it neatly to the bottom of the top. I looked at a couple of ads for card tables on the Internet, and it looks like most of them are 29.5" high, but I thought I would ask for your input before buying the legs. (I'm going to buy 4 1" threaded pipes and flanges at Home Depot and have them cut them all to the same length, subtracting 1" for the tickness of the table top. This way I can unscrew the legs whenever I want to store the table.)

Second, the cloth I intend to use is fairly new pool table cloth, left over from when we recovered our pool table after we moved to a new house. Any reason why this is wouldn't be acceptable? Also, do I need padding under the cloth, and if so, what kind and where can I get it? I don't want to order high buck stuff from one of the on-line purveyors of poker table supplies, b/c this table isn't going to be used all that often.

Any advice, help, or suggestions you are willing to give will be greatly appreciated.