Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 11-24-2007, 05:34 AM

Default Derren Brown

I wasn't sure if I should put this in SMP or OOT, but I opted for here because I think the discussion will be more interesting. I'm assuming most of you have heard of and seen Derren Brown either on his British show or the new American version of the same thing.

The things that guy does are absolutely fascinating. He has managed to mix magic (illusion), hypnosis, NLP, and god-knows-what other kinds of tricks and psychology to create the ability to manipulate people in so many ways.

I've seen episodes where he brainwashes people into attempting armed robbery, make somebody think he's inside a zombie video game fighting for his life, makes somebody think the color red is the color black whenever they see something red (and therefore cannot find their red car right in front of them), got a losing racetrack ticket paid as a winner, and so on.

I am interested in what you all here think of the guy. I don't have any specific topic I want for replies, just whatever you want to go on about. From my research on him and his show, I am fairly sure he is legit, even if some of his misdirection and showmanship is in creating the TV show...

For those who don't know who he is...

YouTube search for "Derren Brown"

Wiki entry on him
Old 11-24-2007, 05:45 AM

Default Re: Derren Brown

If I could choose any profession to be in, this would be one of them. I love magic tricks and hypnosis. I’m not the least bit talented, but I can easily manipulate people into doing things, such as scratching themselves. At the poker table, if I slap a person on the neck, then use my thumb and forefinger to pretend like I have a small object in my hand, then pretend to squish the object and flick it away, telling everyone that it is a flea, then pretty soon, the entire table will be scratching themselves. Works every time.

edit - this is my own invented magic trick. I didn't read about this or anything similar to it anywhere.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:55 PM

Derren Brown is my hero. I totally love his programs. Do bear in mind though that he started off as a straight out magician - mainly cards - and some of his tricks have more misdirection / sleight of hand in them than is first apparent.

Have you seen his latest series "Trick or Treat"? The idea was that people applied to be on the show and either something really good would happen to them or somthing really nasty. Some of it is seriously [censored] up. There was one where he let this guy go into a photo booth, hypnotised him to make him fall asleep, took him (still asleep) and the booth to Morocco (!) and then let him wake up still in the booth. He was left to work out where he was with a plane ticket back home stuck in his back pocket.

Another time he managed to get this old lady who'd never played poker before to win a televised high stakes SnG, although the explanation for how this happened was rather dubious.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Another time he managed to get this old lady who'd never played poker before to win a televised high stakes SnG, although the explanation for how this happened was rather dubious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I think she was 2-outed on the river after a turn push (or something like that) and came in second.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:26 AM

yukon,

you slap people?
Old 11-26-2007, 11:45 AM

His best two shows are The Heist and Messiah. Less magic, more psychology/documentary.