Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 11-20-2007, 02:13 PM

Default Re: TG Appetizers

[ QUOTE ]
I'll be going for classic family favorites, deviled eggs and garlic cheese ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I LOVE Deviled Eggs!
This is no fair right before lunch!!!!
Old 11-20-2007, 02:17 PM

I love radishes, but some people find them too hot or that they upset their stomachs. How are you preparing them for the first dish? Peeling them first or not(skin seems to be the hot part), slicing them with a mandolin or knife? Mandolin seems perfect for that kind of thing while I'd worry about getting the slices too thick when using a knife.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:21 PM

Wow, the Bison empanaditas sound fantastic. The fried goat cheese sounds great as well, although I'm not sure how that'll hold up under travel.

Perhaps a Bison or Elk carpaccio, paper thin slices of either topped with some greens and a vinagarette would be great!
Old 11-20-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Deviled eggs... mmmmmm. The gift that keeps on givin!

Are you doing anything special with them? Not in a *wink wink* sense, but there are some different recipes out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

AKA Eggs of the Devil

Not anything special. I use both dry and wet mustard, (we likes lots of mustard), a little mayo, some salt. maybe a little vinegar.

Speaking of the devil, he he he, we have relatives in Indiana. While visiting, we were dumbfounded to bite into their deviled eggs and discover they put SUGAR in them. Talk about a shock to your taste buds.

In fact, in an attempt to "get back on the horse", so to speak, I bought some from a grocery store on the same trip and they were sweet too. Horrors!

Apparently a regional variation, one we're not on board with. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Hubby loves them, so they're pretty much a staple at any holiday / appetizer occasion.

What do you think of adding some finely minced onion? I think it sounds like it'd be pretty interesting.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:00 PM

As far as store-bought stuff goes, they put sugar everywhere they can possibly get away with it.

Re: onions, it sounds great, but soooo many people hate raw onions in anything that you could get a lot of people not liking it. If it were me, I would make a variety of types so that the non-onion eaters have something to enjoy too.

This anti-onion thing has become pretty serious among the people I meet.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As far as store-bought stuff goes, they put sugar everywhere they can possibly get away with it.

Re: onions, it sounds great, but soooo many people hate raw onions in anything that you could get a lot of people not liking it. If it were me, I would make a variety of types so that the non-onion eaters have something to enjoy too.

This anti-onion thing has become pretty serious among the people I meet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am one of those raw onion haters! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Never liked em, never will. Just can't stand the squishy crunch. Now cooked onions can be tolerated but raw, no way.
Just use a little onion powder if you have to for flavor, unless you know everyone will be OK with raw onions.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:53 PM

Onion powder is the secret spice that makes meals nice! A good friend who's an executive chef swears by the stuff.