Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 11-20-2007, 10:04 AM

Default TG Appetizers

Since we're traveling to the Warden's parents' place this year, I only have to prepare appetizers for the feast. I was wondering what others are doing for apps. Here's what I'm making. These are simple because they have to travel, but they should prove tasty.

1. Fried goat cheese and feta fritters on toast.

Blend goat cheese, feta, dicd kalamata olives, and diced fresh portabellas and form into 2" patties. Press each patty into unseasoned bread crumbs. Fry fritters in olive oil until golden brown. Set aside to drain.

Cut fresh lavash bread into wedges and toast in the oven. Thinly slice radishes and cucumbers. Place one fritter on a slice of toasted bread and top with a slice of radish or cuke.

2. Bacon-wrapped mushrooms

Wrap half a slice of smoked bacon around a whole medium-size fresh mushroom. Secure bacon with a toothpick. Coat with herbed oil and grill until the bacon is crisp.

I'm substituting this for bacon-wrapped scallops, as the scallops won't stand up to travel.

3. Bison empanaditas

Heat a skillet to medium heat. Add olive oil. Fry diced onion, pressed garlic, cumin, and oregano. Add Worcestershire sauce or red wine to the ground bison meat, blend it in, and toss the meat into the skillet to brown.

I'm cheating with pre-made dough. Fill dough with bison mixture, fold over, and crimp edge with a fork. These suckers are deep fried ahead of time, then popped in the oven to warm up.

Getting hungry just thinking about it. What is everyone else making for pregame?
Old 11-20-2007, 10:07 AM

Default Re: TG Appetizers

Can I come?
Old 11-20-2007, 11:11 AM

Man, those Bison empanaditas sound really good! I do not have and Bison meat around right now(Although I could get some if I really wanted to to) but I bet that would be really good with ground Elk, which I do have a lot of! Do you have any kind of sauce that goes with this or just the Bison empanaditas? Is the dough just pie crust dough or some other kid of dough??
Old 11-20-2007, 11:24 AM

I was planning to serve the empanaditas as finger food without sauce.

Something like a chipotle bbq sauce would work, or if you're looking to make something yourself, a simple red wine reduction seasoned to your taste would be good. The wine reduction would go very well with elk.

edit:

I'm just using the Goya pre-made frozen dough. I looked for similar products at Trader Joe's and came up empty. Goya works.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was planning to serve the empanaditas as finger food without sauce.

Something like a chipotle bbq sauce would work, or if you're looking to make something yourself, a simple red wine reduction seasoned to your taste would be good. The wine reduction would go very well with elk.

edit:

I'm just using the Goya pre-made frozen dough. I looked for similar products at Trader Joe's and came up empty. Goya works.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I am a food idiot. Is that Goya dough like a corn meal type dough or more like Pie crust? Not sure if our local Mercantile will have Goya Dough?? Damn, I hope I can figure something out for a dough because these sound really good to munch on while the Packer game is on! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2007, 12:28 PM

Any large supermarket should carry the Goya stuff. If not, just look for ready-made pie crust dough or you could even use the pillsbury stuff in a can and roll it out yourself. Or use croissant dough and call them "turnovers" instead of empanaditas.

edit: if you buy pie crust or the pillsbury stuff, be sure you have flour, a rolling pin, and a circular cookie cutter to make the shells.

While you're at it, you could look for ravioli shells and make elk ravioli. Serve that in a creamy shroom sauce.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any large supermarket should carry the Goya stuff. If not, just look for ready-made pie crust dough or you could even use the pillsbury stuff in a can and roll it out yourself. Or use croissant dough and call them "turnovers" instead of empanaditas.

edit: if you buy pie crust or the pillsbury stuff, be sure you have flour, a rolling pin, and a circular cookie cutter to make the shells.

While you're at it, you could look for ravioli shells and make elk ravioli. Serve that in a creamy shroom sauce.

[/ QUOTE ]

Large supermarket is the problem here. Nearest one of those is about two hours away and I am not planning on going there for at least a couple of weeks. The only grocery stores we have here are a couple of VERY small mercantile type stores. I am not actually sure how both of them stay in business in this small of a town.

I AM going to look for the Pie Crust dough and try that. It sounds like fun. Could you put cheese in an empanadita or is that just wrong? Ravioli sounds fun too.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:37 PM

You can put anything you like in them, of course. I would tend toward parmesan though, as a runny cheese will make for runny empanaditas, and you don't want globs of deep fried cheese messing up your oil or oozing out of the pastry.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:45 PM

I'll be going for classic family favorites, deviled eggs and garlic cheese ball.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:47 PM

Deviled eggs... mmmmmm. The gift that keeps on givin!

Are you doing anything special with them? Not in a *wink wink* sense, but there are some different recipes out there.