Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 02:21 PM

Default Formula 1: McLaren Dumps the Diva

McLaren announced that they are parting ways with Alonso, whose 1 year stint with the team was steeped in controversy. It's no surprise, of course, as speculation about his future with McLaren was rampant over the second half of the 07 campaign. Alonso's recent comments didn't help.

He'll probably rejoin Fisi at Renault, if the team can swing it. Fisi is a good teammate and Kovaleinen can be brushed aside, but will the team allow the diva to be the diva?

Who takes over for McLaren? Hammy will have the number 1 ride, but do they stay within the paddock and promote De la Rosa or do they look elsewhere? Can they strike lightning twice in two years with a rookie?

Am I the only F1 tard here?
Old 11-03-2007, 08:59 PM

Default Re: Formula 1: McLaren Dumps the Diva

Apparently Kovalainen, Rosberg and Sutil are the leading contenders to take on the McLaren drive. I can't see Williams letting Rosberg leave without a struggle and Sutil will probably be viewed as too big a risk as he hasn't driven a top end car yet. Obviously this didn't stop them giving Hamilton a drive though so who knows.

My bet would be Kovalainen, he finished the season very strongly and would allow Alonso the chance to rejoin Renault. Apparently Flavio has said Renault will welcome Alonso back as long as its for longer than a solitary season.

Also Kovalainen seems to be level headed and not the sort of guy to cry over spilt milk (see Alonso). However I don't believe any driver will be a 'number two' to Lewis as this isn't Ron Dennis' philosophy, they will probably have equal status.

It's all pretty interesting though. Red Bull continue to keep themselves in the frame for Alonso too, but I don't know why he would go there.

EDIT: You're not the only F1 tard here...