Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT

Old 11-01-2007, 07:37 PM

Default 44 iso shove deep in 50r

Villain is Jalla79. In my experience he's been way too loose. I'm chipleader and he is in second. We're 10 handed. Thoughts on this?

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t2000/t4000
(Ante: t400)
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t35350
CO: t38221
Button: t219402
djk123: t304466
BB: t68904

Pre-flop: (5 players) djk123 is SB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises all-in t34950</font>, CO folds, Button calls t34950 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t42950)</font>, <font color="#cc0000">djk123 raises all-in t304066</font>
Old 11-01-2007, 08:49 PM

Default Re: 44 iso shove deep in 50r

I think that's really high risk low reward shove. He could be trap-calling with AA, KK, QQ, and thinks your experienced enough to make an iso shove with a less than premium hand. I've seen this happen very often and a lot of players are very capable of this move.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:23 PM

Live, this is a good thing to do because the satisfaction of having a bunch of people yell at you for not calling and checking it down, which they think you're supposed to do whenever anyone is all in, is +EV. Here, too risky, button could be trapping, you're iso'ing in a spot where you could be a big dog to UTG as well.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:24 PM

Lol, so true Todd. I love doing that [censored] to people live, they just flip out like you're supposed to call/checkdown EVERY SINGLE hand that someone's all in. It doesn't even matter if it's close to the bubble or not, it could be the very 1st hand of the WSOP ME for all they care.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Live, this is a good thing to do because the satisfaction of having a bunch of people yell at you for not calling and checking it down, which they think you're supposed to do whenever anyone is all in, is +EV. Here, too risky, button could be trapping, you're iso'ing in a spot where you could be a big dog to UTG as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really worried about UTG. Im either a slight dog or ahead of his range, but if jalla folds there will be a ton of dead money.

i figure he could be trapping here with a big pair, but he could also be flatting medium strength hands since he doesnt wanna shove into me given my stack / 10 ppl left. There were a bunch of &lt;100k stacks.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really worried about UTG. Im either a slight dog or ahead of his range, but if jalla folds there will be a ton of dead money.

i figure he could be trapping here with a big pair, but he could also be flatting medium strength hands since he doesnt wanna shove into me given my stack / 10 ppl left. There were a bunch of &lt;100k stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree you're ahead of UTG's range, but my point is that you're taking a chance to iso and there are 60 combinations of pairs bigger than yours that UTG could have, so you're risking most of your stack to try to get into a situation where you're going to be an 80/20 dog a decent percentage of the time against UTG. In other words, I'd much rather do this with AJ or AT, where if the button folds I'm fairly sure I'm going to be live, and could actually have UTG dominated, so it's worth the risk to try to get heads up with UTG and pick up the dead money.

Edit: Actually, upon reflection, you have to be behind his range here with 44. Not by much, but you can't be ahead since he there are very few hands you're ahead of (by more than a few % points), and a lot more you're way behind. Overall, you're not behind by that much obviously since he's shoving a wide range, and the pot odds would justify a call if the button wasn't in the hand, but you're iso'ing to get into a situation where you're either flipping or way behind.

Edit #2: Just read this WPT hand after I posted regarding the benefits of iso'ing with AT:

Steve Silverman Eliminated in 10th Place ($63,233 CAD)

Jonathan Little raises 32,000 preflop and Scott Clements makes the call. Steve Silverman moves all in and Little folds. Clements makes the call and turns up pocket aces. Silverman shows A10 and the board falls K4285. Silverman busts in 10th place and he will take home $63,233.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:25 PM

Depends djk, does he like flat calling his big pairs here? I know it's sometimes hard to get that information. Also, i especially love Todd's comment.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Depends djk, does he like flat calling his big pairs here? I know it's sometimes hard to get that information. Also, i especially love Todd's comment.

[/ QUOTE ]

to be honest i cudnt say. i just know he isn't very good.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:41 PM

I hate it, just fold.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You are maybe 45% against UTG's range. There is no way you are expected to be the favorite.