Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2007, 05:33 AM

Default Are the current sites against poker \'legalization\' in the US?

So I was reading this thread about how Barry G predicts online poker [in the states] will likely be 'legalized' within 6 months, and how the PPA has been putting forth a great effort to further such legalization, so fourth and so on.

What's always seemed odd to me about this whole regulation issue is that there's never really been any major/visible lobbying from the current sites to regulate and legalize poker in the states, in spite of the fact that the US makes up a huge chunk of all online poker players. They did effectively nothing prior to the UIGEA as well.

And then I realized something. If poker is legalized, it could spell the end for these sites. Everybody's talking about how incredible it would be to have access to Party again, but poker.bellagio.com / MGMpoker.com / etc will make Party look like a rock garden. The names and security alone will bring countless fresh schools to the new name sites, which will also take the high volume regulars away from Stars/Tilt/Party/etc and onto the 'new' sites.

Are the current sites against regulation? Do you think they were against any sort of regulation prior to the UIGEA and may have even been indirectly in favor of the UIGEA? I mean it has been quite predictably ineffective at preventing people who want to play online from doing so, but at the same time it's been extremely effective at ensuring no new major competition for US players springs up. This seems so tin foil hattish, but it sure makes alot of sense right now.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:14 AM

Default Re: Are the current sites against poker \'legalization\' in the US?

i think they would rather have competition than the threat that they could be shut down and have all their funds seized at any moment.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... and how the PPA has been putting forth a great effort to further such legalization ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Most (or at least a sizeable chunk) of the PPA membership comes from the Stars/FTP PPA freerols. I also think that FTP offered a $100 bonus for a $100 donation to the PPA.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think they would rather have competition than the threat that they could be shut down and have all their funds seized at any moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean? As long as the sites and their operators stay out of the US and don't maintain any US assets, they can't be touched.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
... and how the PPA has been putting forth a great effort to further such legalization ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Most (or at least a sizeable chunk) of the PPA membership comes from the Stars/FTP PPA freerols. I also think that FTP offered a $100 bonus for a $100 donation to the PPA.

[/ QUOTE ]

But again, those are extremely passive forms of support. The $100 bonus from FTP doesn't cost them anything even. In fact, in a way it's even free advertising for their site. The same could be said for the freerolls. These sites are making many millions per year from US players but again just sit/sat largely idle in face of all the US legislation.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:06 PM

Aren't Lederer/Ferguson etc part owners of full tilt? And Greenstein is sponsored by pokerstars.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:22 PM

"Barry G predicts online poker [in the states] will likely be 'legalized' within 6 months"

If Barry G said that, then he is worse at political analysis than I am at poker. No f'ing way is "online poker "legalized" within 6 months" ...
Old 10-28-2007, 09:39 PM

As foreign entities Stars/FT are significantly limited by law in the type of lobbying access they have to the US government.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Barry G predicts online poker [in the states] will likely be 'legalized' within 6 months"

If Barry G said that, then he is worse at political analysis than I am at poker. No f'ing way is "online poker "legalized" within 6 months" ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Discussion in Legislation Forum about this timeline
Old 10-29-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree, this is still pretty far off.