Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 10-19-2007, 08:04 PM

Default Gone Baby Gone

Gone Baby Gone , 2007, Ben Affleck

Fall of 2007 is turning out to have some incredible movies. Last week it was Michael Clayton, in a few weeks I have high hopes for No Country for Old Men, and this week brings us Ben Affleck's directorial debut, the riveting crime drama, Gone Baby Gone.

This is a powerhouse of a movie about a young couple {Casey Affleck and Michelle Monaghan) who are hired to augment a police investigation into a missing 4 yr. old girl in Boston. They get teamed up with two cops (Ed Harris and John Ashton) and find their investigation going in places no one expected.

First, let me say that Gone Baby Gone is an assured piece of film making, and probably one of the best debut films in recent years - Ben Affleck has hit a home run; his direction and screenplay (shared with Aaron Stockard) will most likely be remembered come awards season. But as good as the movie is, and it's one of the best of the year, I also have a hard time recommending it to the casual movie goer because it is unrelentingly depressing. We're thrown into the dark underbelly of Boston from the first moment on screen and we're never let up for a clean breath. I can't recall a sadder movie in recent memory...this is not mere entertainment - it punches you in the gut and leaves you pondering a horrible dilemma I hope no one ever has to deal with in real life.

Even so, it's close to perfect and I certainly recommend it to those of you here who take their film seriously.

Casey Affleck (Ben's younger brother) is outstanding in the lead. He carries that perfect Boston swagger and blank face so as not to reveal too much, yet behind his eyes we see what he's feeling. It's a tight, subdued performance, and one I hope gets some recognition. As I'd only seen him in supporting roles I had no clue he had the chops to pull this off, and he does. In fact, the whole film is pretty much a master class of acting, with Morgan Freeman, Harris, Ashton, (where the heck has he been?), and Amy Madigan all giving some of their best work in years. There's also an incredible performance by Amy Ryan as the mother of the missing girl that is just astonishing.

Director Affleck gets everything right - from the minor roles to the Boston feel of the film...this is an excellent companion piece to that other film adapted from a Dennis Lehan book, Mystic River. The only quibble I have is all the loose ends at the end are maybe tied up a bit tool cleanly and quickly...but it's a minor point.

What I'm most impressed with is not in the twists and turns of the plot (and there are plenty) but in the twists and turns in the characters we get to know. People we think of as good turn bad but then turn good again...sort of. This is a movie that does not shy away from admitting there are a million shades of gray to everyone's motivations in life, nor does it shy away from the Big Questions: the end of the film poses such a conundrum I'm not sure I could answer it myself with any faith.

The lead protagonist is faced with a perplexing moral question, yet he takes stand on one side - and risks losing everything he has - on that principle. I can't remember there being a film character so basically good in the face of life's evils.

Gone Baby Gone is a great film and makes me wonder what the hell took Affleck so long between Good Will Hunting and this. He obviously is more talented behind the camera than he is in front of it.

Four out of Five stars.

Mod Edit: Fixed your title.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:14 PM

Default Re: [b]Gone Baby Gone[/b]

Good review, Dom. I'll have to put this one on my list.

I'm not surprised it takes people time to come out with stuff that's good. Good is hard! Many novelists only have one novel in them, or take 10 or 20 years to scrape out another.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:50 PM

I can't wait to see this, and Michael Clayton. NR Dom
Old 10-20-2007, 01:23 AM

I wouldn't consider this movie depressing in the same way that movies like Mystic River or Requiem for a Dream are. The thrills and twists are enough to keep it from descending into complete darkness.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't consider this movie depressing in the same way that movies like Mystic River or Requiem for a Dream are. The thrills and twists are enough to keep it from descending into complete darkness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not depressing but some of the most horrific crimes imaginable are depicted in this film - I certainly wasn't walking on clouds when I left the the theater.

Ben Affleck seems like such a likable guy so I'm always rooting for him to succeed but he somehow manages to disappoint most every time. It's nice to see him nail this one. If this is any indication of his talent we may see significantly less of him in front of the camera.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Casey Affleck (Ben's younger brother)

[/ QUOTE ]

"Hey Mawgan! Stop jerkin' off in my muthuh's bed!"

I've never been so afraid of stumbling into a spoiler, as I am with this movie. I can't wait to go see it, just so I won't spend any more time living in fear of the spoiler.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:47 AM

So who is this guy who plays Bubba? Slaine, wtf kind of a name is that, and no pic. Also this sounds awesome.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:42 AM

I thought this was better than Mystic River. This film made me seriously angry at times and thinking to myself at others and when a movie can get the wheels turnin' as well as draw emotion from you (any emotion) then it is doing something right.

I thought Casey Affleck was really good in this film as well as Ed Harris but EH rocks so that was expected.

I am sort of getting tired of Morgan Freeman, he is getting in that Pacino mode for me where every time I see him on the screen he seems to be acting the same--different roles but same beat down, weathered, boring old man w/o any pop. Pacino plays the guy that has to yell every time he talks and over act every scene. Sucks b/c both guys are classic. I don't know if I explained that very well.

One thing that bothered me throughout this entire movie was that I could barely make out a lot of the dialogue the Boston accents were so thick. Now don't start w/ me on authenticity etc., b/c every other movie where the good 'ol Irish Catholic boys are rolling w/ the "ahhhhs" I had no problem understanding them--this was just really hard to understand.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:19 AM

Default Re: Gone Baby Gone

[ QUOTE ]

Director Affleck gets everything right - from the minor roles to the Boston feel of the film...this is an excellent companion piece to that other film adapted from a Dennis Lehan book, Mystic River. The only quibble I have is all the loose ends at the end are maybe tied up a bit tool cleanly and quickly...but it's a minor point.

What I'm most impressed with is not in the twists and turns of the plot (and there are plenty) but in the twists and turns in the characters we get to know. People we think of as good turn bad but then turn good again...sort of. This is a movie that does not shy away from admitting there are a million shades of gray to everyone's motivations in life, nor does it shy away from the Big Questions: the end of the film poses such a conundrum I'm not sure I could answer it myself with any faith.

The lead protagonist is faced with a perplexing moral question, yet he takes stand on one side - and risks losing everything he has - on that principle. I can't remember there being a film character so basically good in the face of life's evils.

Gone Baby Gone is a great film and makes me wonder what the hell took Affleck so long between Good Will Hunting and this. He obviously is more talented behind the camera than he is in front of it.

Four out of Five stars.

Mod Edit: Fixed your title.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really great review Dom. Based on your post I am now very excited about seeing this movie. Always liked Ben Affleck so it's nice to hear that he does something well. Especially like the way you phrased the part I bolded (above). I tend to agree with you that there are a million shades of gray to everyone's motivations. Sounds like a very cool story and can't wait to see it.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I am sort of getting tired of Morgan Freeman, he is getting in that Pacino mode for me where every time I see him on the screen he seems to be acting the same--different roles but same beat down, weathered, boring old man w/o any pop. Pacino plays the guy that has to yell every time he talks and over act every scene. Sucks b/c both guys are classic. I don't know if I explained that very well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tdarko, you just put into words what I've felt about Morgan Freeman for awhile now. You explained it very well - "same boring old man w/o any pop."