Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 09:50 AM

Default Re: Should the Pats be running up the score on everybody in garbage ti

[ QUOTE ]
Or maybe you just cheat better, who knows. You certainly don't (unless you haven't disclosed that you work for the NFL or a team therein).

[/ QUOTE ]

that's true. but the reality is that you don't know either. you have no idea how/if those tapes were used to gain an edge, and if they were, then to what extent that edge was greater than the edge other teams were getting through similar activities.

but, this doesn't stop people from doing ridiculous things like asking for SB rings and saying things like "they knew our offensive calls" when the entire scandal was about DEFENSIVE calls.

did we REALLY get an edge? you don't know. you just know that we got caught taping defensive signals.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
meh, as much as i hate to admit it, the pats run their team better than pretty much anyone out there, forget the cheating/enchacements (it can't get u 3/4 SB alone imo), it's not like they were the only team that was engaged in this kind of behavior

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I'd agree with you, but I don't have proof, do you. I mean that's one of my big issues with that whole mess. I'm willing to hear Pat's fans out and the "everyone else does it" but where's out smoking gun (or rolling camera), I mean certainly if it's this obvious (the Pat's guy was in plain cloths 20 ft. from the Jets coach) then where are the others getting caught.

Cody
Old 10-18-2007, 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Or maybe you just cheat better, who knows. You certainly don't (unless you haven't disclosed that you work for the NFL or a team therein).

[/ QUOTE ]

that's true. but the reality is that you don't know either. you have no idea how/if those tapes were used to gain an edge, and if they were, then to what extent that edge was greater than the edge other teams were getting through similar activities.

but, this doesn't stop people from doing ridiculous things like asking for SB rings and saying things like "they knew our offensive calls" when the entire scandal was about DEFENSIVE calls.

did we REALLY get an edge? you don't know. you just know that we got caught taping defensive signals.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha read my edit, I so beat you.

Cody
Old 10-18-2007, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
/cue Edge coming in and saying the Colts would never run up the score on any team no matter how insulted they felt.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol except when Manning felt he could break a record
Old 10-18-2007, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's reasonable to assume they got an edge. Why else would they continue to do something expressly illegal at the risk of severe punishment and public relations backlash?

-McGee
Old 10-18-2007, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean certainly if it's this obvious (the Pat's guy was in plain cloths 20 ft. from the Jets coach) then where are the others getting caught.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, I think it was pretty commonly done for a while there, and the NFL finally said "enough is enough" and sent out the letter this year reiterating that it couldn't be done. then the Pats (in a dumb move) brazenly went ahead and continued anyways.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
/cue Edge coming in and saying the Colts would never run up the score on any team no matter how insulted they felt.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol except when Manning felt he could break a record

[/ QUOTE ]

hahah Manning only got that record because the IND defense was so poreous that he had to score 35 a game to win. It's not running up the score if half your team sucks.
[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Cody
Old 10-18-2007, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's reasonable to assume they got an edge. Why else would they continue to do something expressly illegal at the risk of severe punishment and public relations backlash?

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe b/c they thought other teams were doing the same thing, so it really wasn't an edge, more like a shared dirty little secret. also, taping had never been punished before. and they probably figured that if they were caught, any penalty they got wouldn't be as severe as 1st round pick - that was an unprecedented penalty. when the story first broke, people were assuming the penalty would be something like a 3rd round pick.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I mean certainly if it's this obvious (the Pat's guy was in plain cloths 20 ft. from the Jets coach) then where are the others getting caught.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, I think it was pretty commonly done for a while there, and the NFL finally said "enough is enough" and sent out the letter this year reiterating that it couldn't be done. then the Pats (in a dumb move) brazenly went ahead and continued anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I certainly don't think it's done know. If Billy B. isn't cocky enough to do it, it can't be done. But still, we have NFL game tapes from 1970-2007, and most (after 1985 or so) have at least, and if I'm exaggerating here it's only slightly, 24,000 cameras in the stadium.

Lets rewind those tapes and see if we spot anyone. This is the failing of the NFL here in my opinion. They didn't do this, or at least I never heard of them saying "We reviewed years of tape and didn't/did see anything".

Cody
Old 10-18-2007, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
we coach better than you, we run the cap better than you, we collect better players than you, we run better than you, we win 3/4 SB's when everyone said it was impossible, and now you discount our achievements?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP