Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 12:20 PM

Default Re: KT gets teh road rage - TR

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Sometimes you need to pass on the right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. This is illegal every time, and extremely dangerous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, what? I'm pretty sure this isn't illegal anywhere in the US. Germany, maybe. Unless you're talking about driving on the shoulder.

[/ QUOTE ]

In some states it's illegal if its not done in a safe manner. Here is an example from CA:

21755. The driver of a motor vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. In no event shall such movement be made by driving off the paved or main-traveled portion of the roadway.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, what? I'm pretty sure this isn't illegal anywhere in the US. Germany, maybe. Unless you're talking about driving on the shoulder.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand corrected. After searching it seems you can pass on the right on a two-lane or three-lane roadway.

I would like to retract the statement 'Passing on the right is illegal'

and replace it with

'Passing on the right is a dick move.'

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that it is a dick move...when not warranted. If someone is sitting in the left lane and you have somewhere to be then you have no choice left.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's definitely illegal in the state if Illinois, however it's rarely enforced.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If some clueless driver is going 55 (or slower) in the left lane and will not move to the right, I will not hesitate to pass them on the right-hand side.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hesitate, but just long enough to beep 3 times and flash them some high beams to try and make them realize they are being an ass, then I pass them in the right lane.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:27 PM

I think cruising in the passing lane when you can easily get over and back into the passing lane after the guy behind you passes is the 'bigger??' dick move than simply passing on the right.

If however you are referring the the guy who accelerates to gain a one car spot during heavy traffic and then cuts off the person in the passing lane that he just passed causing everyone behind him to brake. Then I'll go along with you.

Best road rage even I witnessed. Fairly minor in all honesty. Leaving the gym. Get to a intersection. Woman gets out of her car on the red light. Walks to the drivers side window of the car behind her. Berates the driver for 30 seconds about tailgating her on this road because she has kids in the back seat. I didn't see the guy do anything terrible in the brief bit that I was following, but she was very upset and I was amused.

(Pretty much everyone around here follows with maybe a car length between cars - 35mph road)
Old 10-11-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was heading home after work and entered the beltine (which is sort of like a freeway that circles our city). It was raining, dark, and traffic was moving very slowly. After I merged into traffic I signaled and moved to the left-most lane. As I did that the driver behind me in the left lane unsuccessfully tried speeding up to cut me off so that I couldn't move over.

After I moved over the driver started flashing the brights, honking, and started tailgating. Traffic thinned out, we sped up to about 55 mpg and the driver kept tailgating. I signaled before my exit, moved over, and exited. The driver followed my every move.

I took a country road towards my home and stopped at a convenience store to get some milk. The car pulled behind me and a screaming woman got out. I immediately snapped her pic with my camera phone and then walked to the front of her car and snapped a pic of her license plate. That sent her off the deep end and she kept screaming about how I endangered her and her two babies that she had in the back seat.

I pointed out that if that was her concern I'm surprised she followed a stranger out into the country, in the dark, just to go on a rant. I should point out that she was a real babe, by the way. She eventually left after I went into the store.

End of story is that I ran into her the next morning at our ski club when we were both there to sign our kids up for lessons. I see her all the time now. Not cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not cool, indeed.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

cops use the right lane alot, apparently. my dad will use it occasionally (like when my step mom was giving birth) because he is less likely to get caught speeding, or if he does, they'll think he's a UC. still douchey though.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In some states it's illegal if its not done in a safe manner. Here is an example from CA:

21755. The driver of a motor vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. In no event shall such movement be made by driving off the paved or main-traveled portion of the roadway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Driving in an unsafe manner is generally illegal regardless of what lane you're doing it in. This is like saying "it's illegal to go through an intersection...UNLESS YOU DO IT IN A SAFE MANNER."
Old 10-11-2007, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
'Passing on the right is a dick move.'

[/ QUOTE ]

So, people driving slow in the left lane puts you on tilt but you think it's wrong to pass them on the right when they refuse to move? Sounds like a recipe for success.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:50 PM

I'm not basing my beliefs regarding passing on the right by this incident, but it is merely an incident I personally experienced.

In the middle lane on a highway, going about 65.
Not much going on in front of me and the right lane is wide open.
I figure I'll move on over to the right lane because traffic is moving along at a good clip.
Put on right directional, look in my rearview and begin my move to the right lane.
As I do this I look right and immediately have to swerve back into the middle because this [censored] [censored] goes wizzing by at about 90 in a low-rider celica pos.
This [censored] was going so fast he was a blur.
When I had looked in my rearview, he was aleady in my blind spot. Had I not looked right as I began to change lanes, I and my family would have most certainly been seriously injured, if not killed.

So, as far as passing on the right goes, if you're going over the speed limit while doing it it, it is surely illegal.

My next question would be:
How often are you passing on the right going below the speed limit?

My guess would be 'not very often'.